Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a lot of pressure building up in my oil tank (enough to blow dipstick out when unthreading to check the oil) I checked the oil lines to and from tank for a clog but both seem to flow. anyone have this problem or have any advice what may be causing this thanks if it helps I just rebuilt the motor has about 1hr run time on it then it started to smell hot soi shut it off to check oil and that's when I noticed problem(I have rebuilt a hand full of these motors now and this is first time having this problem)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would check the oil filter and check the screen filter in the oil tank there has to be a blockage somewhere. also check the crankcase breather make sure that's not plugged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im having the same problem here on my 1999 honda 400ex when i check the oil it comes pouring out on me like it is building pressure up please help me out

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
How much oil did you put in? This engine is very hard to check the oil and fill it properly. If you fill it full when sittingf it will be way over filled. Should be less then 2 quarts in it. If you have the proper amount of oil in it i would start by removing the screen in the oil tank lower line connector. The line unscrews and then the whole compression fitting unscrews from the tank. There is a fine screen that if it was clogged could back up oil in the tank. The proper way to check oil in this quad is start it and let it idle till its most of the way warmed up. 10 to 15 minutes if its warm out. Could take 25 or 30 when its cold. Then without hitting the throttle the whole time its idling you shut it off pull the dip stick wipe it off and put it in without screwing it into the threads. If you do it any other way the reading will be wrong. This system has to scavange oil from the tank so when sitting over night the oil levels will balance between the engine and tank. This is why reading it this way will be wrong. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just got the 400 ex and i never put oil in it because the guy i got it from said he just checked it and it was fine but he also told me that motor had just been rebuilt top end and timing chain kit put in and its only been about a week since i got it but last week i checked the oil and it was like new then 1 week later checked it again and that is when it came pouring out and was dirty as ever and smells like gas a little bit so i am lost lol

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
Yikes. That sounds like you got a float sticking in the carb. What ever you do dont run it like that. The fuel will leak into the combustion chamber through the valves and clean off the carbon buildup and dirty the oil real quick. Which also explains why its way over full aswell. Most of the time when the floats sticking it will leak out the over flow tube out the bottom but i have seen them get clogged with mud and cause the fuel to find the next path and thats directly into the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
so I have a new carb but its jetted up and makes the bike run hard so i do not know what i should do i guess clean the carb right ?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yes, clean the jets out and make sure your needle and seat isn’t sticking, I would order a carb rebuild kit. Comes with everything you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Im having the same problem here on my 1999 honda 400ex when i check the oil it comes pouring out on me like it is building pressure up please help me out
different honda owner=different thread, for the most part. :smile

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm plan on breaking the bike down later tonight and going over the whole thing to see what might be wrong with it I have only had the bike for about 2 weeks and only been on it 4 times so far checked the oil when i got and it looked new so i just got on it a few times and went down the road and back and it was fine so IDK but i will let everyone know when i am done i got a lot of new stuff for it a new starter new solenoid new carb new A-ARMS shocks wires steering stem and other stuff so will see thanks everyone for your help

·
Registered
206 Posts
Piston rings could be installed upside down? Will pressurize the case...

·
Registered
5 Posts
so it just got a lot worst for me when i was trying to change the oil filter the long bolt going into the crank case broke off so idk what to to now the oil filter cover on my 99 honda 400ex has 2 bolts one long bolt and one short bolt the long broke off in the case

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
different honda owner=different thread, for the most part. :smile
now that i finally looked at the date of first post. just another Duh, moment in the life.
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" . seems, like that quote carries no bound's, for me. :icon_ nono2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts