Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stuck. I have owed this ATV for six years and it has ran perfect since I rebuilt the top end when I first bought it. Had some carb trouble due to bad/old gas. Took it to a local small engine shop and had them rebuild the carb, now it runs normal without gas flowing out of the overflow like before. However, now it has an error code and only drives in the fail safe mode. Equivalent to first gear and sputters when put in reverse. So I do some digging around on here, find the repair manual and realize the system should have be re-initialized after the carb was taken off. So I read the instructions for how to do this and begin to attempt. The initial setting procedure states the shift indicator should display N or D or R, but mine just flashes "--" no matter what reset or diagnostic steps I try from the repair manual. Please help.

*Note: The "--" blinks 6 times and that code is the swash plate sensor. Should I replace or check connection before proceeding. The error code retrieval procedure was done by the shop and I haven't been able to get it to display anything else since then.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
First thing I would do is take apart and reconnect every single electrical connection with dielectric grease. Since it never occurred before they worked on it, and did right after, that would be the first thing to check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't remember all steps to diagnose this... But this sounds exactly like the problem I had with my sons 2004 AT. I messed around with it for a long time, but the only thing that cured it was replacing the angle sensor. Angle sensor is by your foot/peg (left hand side) low on the engine.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The carb shouldnt have anything to do with the code unless they left the TPS connector off. Sounds like they may have unhooked something & its still like that. Go over all connections like ttwheel said.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check all the connections and added di-electric grease to all. Problem still there. Going to order an angle sensor now and will update once replaced. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Did you ever get this problem fixed? If so, what was the fix?

Thanks.
did ya notice the date of last post by OP ??..lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, shadetree. I did notice that, but thought I'd take a long shot and ask. He said "Going to order an angle sensor now and will update once replaced." but he didn't come back... so, he might have given up and torched it. LOL
Maybe he'll receive a notification and come back and answer. I'm hoping to fix mine without just resorting to changing parts.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thanks, shadetree. I did notice that, but thought I'd take a long shot and ask. He said "Going to order an angle sensor now and will update once replaced." but he didn't come back... so, he might have given up and torched it. LOL
Maybe he'll receive a notification and come back and answer. I'm hoping to fix mine without just resorting to changing parts.
Is your situation similar? I'm not looking at the service manual right now, but I do recall something about any time the throttle cable is removed from the carb and tps, you have to do the initialization procedure.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
wheel^^^^ is correct, anytime the carb TPS is removed ?, you must synch it once back installed on the carb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
<edit>Ooops, just noticed this thread is almost 2 years old, oh well- maybe i'll help someone else</edit>

Your issue is almost certainly your tps. Take a tester and rotate that mofo until it reads 6ohms, pop it back on and watch your issues disappear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts