Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site. I picked up a 03 Rubicon with the Hondamattic really cheap that had trans problems... "Of course" lol. Took me a few hours to get that fixed, shift motor, angle sensor and resetting the throttle position sensor. Ran fine after that except for smoking and slightly low cylender compression, but now it wont go into gear without bucking and stalling. Its almost like the centrifugal clutch is sticking, it doesnt do it all the time though, mostly after its warmed up and/or on rides. Oil level is fine, oil pressure is fine and its not throwing any codes. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just went through this same type of problem with a first generation Rubicon. Even with a new clutch installed, mine would slip as though the clutch was bad. This only occurred when it had warmed up by riding about 10 minutes or so. It seems like yours does something different when it acts up, but the bottom line is those Hondamatics do fail. The failures are due to a oil pump that isn't working correctly. I'm going to replace both the pump and the Hondamatic since the quad is in good shape otherwise. It will be expensive, but there aren't too many options available. Hopefully yours is something else but it sounds like you've covered the usual issues. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its almost as if the bearing is failing and letting the clutch tilt in the basket causing premature engagement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It couldn't hurt to get a look at the clutch but it's unlikely that's the problem. You'll need a special puller to remove it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont see how it could be anything other than that. Even if the sub trans was stuck in gear it wouldnt shut down like that because of the clutch. But it cant be the sub trans because it runs fine in neutral. Ive adjusted the rpm as low as it would go without stalling to see if the springs in the clutch are "weak" but even that didnt help. If one of the springs were Broke then it would do it all the time but it doesn't... And i cant find anything online about it so im turning to y'all before i shell out the money for a manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts