Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great forum, great information. Learned a lot already.

Got a situation with a 2003 TRX350TE Rancher. The angle sensor failed a couple weeks ago and that was a pretty simple fix. Cleaned out the grease thanks to the fantastic pinned thread. Great point. Don't know what glop Honda put in there but its the same stuff that hardens on my antique motorcycles and it's nasty. Good riddance.

Suddenly it has developed a neutral issue. Shift down to green light neutral and you shut it off. Next time when you turn on the key and go to crank, the light is on but as soon as you hit the starter button the light goes off. Electric start will not down shift but it will upshift into 1. Rock it a bit and drop into neutral. The light is on but as soon as you hit the button it goes off and nothing happens.

I can manually downshift it into neutral and then magically the light works and it cranks. It runs through all gears snappy, into reverse. Even during driving it sometimes just doesn't turn on the green light. Or it'll flicker when you downshift into neutral then go away.

So is this an internal issue or an electrical issue? I can't figure out if this has a 1 wire neutral safety in the case or a 7 wire "gear position sensor" or both?

I have never particularly liked the ES models. Seems like a lot of extra moving electrical junk to cause issues, but they sure do ride nice.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the clutch? I’m not much help on these new models but good battery and clutch adjustment can help get these things moving

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2000 Rancher draws current when turned off and drains the battery. So I use a trickle charger.
I would say it must be your battery except you say it works fine when you shift into N manually.
That would indicate the transmission is not making it all the way into neutral with the electric shift.
Try changing the oil to 20W50, and putting fresh grease on the reduction gears under the shift motor plate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the end of the story was the gear selector switch in the back of the transmission housing. Water apparently settled in that pocket, although the rest of the machine was clean, and that switch had a bad contact. Pulled that stupid hard to access switch out and that tested bad. Replaced and problem was solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts