Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i figured I'd start a little build thread on my quad. Its an 03 TRX 400EX. It has a 416 Big Bore kit installed, White Bro's muffer, and an aftermarket body kit.

I just got a set of Realtor Pure Sport tires for it and they are great on the loose stuff in the woods. The Kenda Klaw front tires love to grab and throw dirt in my face. I am planning on upgrading some things though. I love the 22x12-9 tires in the back but i need a lot more throttle to get them moving, so i am thinking about installing a 12 or 13 tooth front sproket and 40 tooth rear sprocket. It will give me some great low end torque for those tall/wide tires which is what I need for riding in the woods. I will need a new chain as mine is stretched out pretty good and I'll need to add in some more skid plates. After that, I'll be looking into a header and match muffler from FMH and maybe that Velocity intake in the other thread. I'll relocate the battery and some of the wiring as well. Here are a couple of pics. Progress may be slow as I still have a 68 Plymouth Valiant that I am getting ready for paint and a 74 Jeep j10 pick up that I am trying to get up and running for some 4 wheelin. Not to mention, I still have to keep the little lady happy and the house in one piece. lol.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
12/13 tooth AND 40 tooth? Wow you are wanting some bottom end aren't ya? lmao. I'm getting a 13 tooth on my 450r so I can handle the trails better.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With those 22s out back, the motor really needs to get going to get my [email protected]@$$ moving on it hence why I want a higher gearing.

Gonna be looking at rear hubs and fron shicks pretty soon to. One front shock is 16" center bolt to center bolt. The other one is 15". WTF is up with that? Any recommendations on shocks that would be great for trail rides?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
With those 22s out back, the motor really needs to get going to get my [email protected]@$$ moving on it hence why I want a higher gearing.

Gonna be looking at rear hubs and fron shicks pretty soon to. One front shock is 16" center bolt to center bolt. The other one is 15". WTF is up with that? Any recommendations on shocks that would be great for trail rides?
Find some used 450R shocks. You can usually pick them up cheap and you can even get them revalved. plus they have more adjustability.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moose - That is better. my old eyes just are not what they use to be. lol

Tom - I'll look into those shocks. Probably get a set off of e-bay.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Dang man. I can tell those are cell phone pics. lmao I just got my 13 tooth put on today. I can tell a difference and I really like it now.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I'm sorry man next time I'll take it to freakn Oland MILLs!!!!! LMAO

Dang man. I can tell those are cell phone pics. lmao I just got my 13 tooth put on today. I can tell a difference and I really like it now.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Well mine aren't youg either they will be 39 next month, along with the rest of myself.

Moose - That is better. my old eyes just are not what they use to be. lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the woods took the swing arm skid plate, a light and stretched more of my chain, but I made it through and the quad is still running without any problems. I'm heading to the dealer to get a new chain and sprocket today as long as they have one and hoepfully getting it installed to go out riding tomorrow. Lost all the bolts on the skid plate but I did get some new ones and it is back on and tighened down...... again. If these come out, I'm breaking out the lok tite.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Just put crush nuts on they won't come off. and Tom's right don't use the red lock tight use blu but the crush nuts will be better.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Some pics from the trip. Had to cut it short as my gf's father rolled his ATV onto its side and bruised his hip. The last pic is me: thats the cleanest I was during the whole trip. lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I've got the chain replaced and a new air filter on. had a problem with the chain though. I followed the directions but with the right amount of links and the axle adjustment rotated all the way back, there was still too much play in the chain. So i took it off and pulled one more link, installed it and now with the axle adjustment all the way forward, there is almost no play in the chain. WTF?

I'm just going to take it easy and let it wear itself in some.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
UM well it depends on what day of the week it is. but I don't feel old when I'm out riding around on my quad.:D but to answer your question I'm not waht I used to be. LOL

J Im glad to hear you got your sproket
And does 39 really feel old MOOSE? Im only 29

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Are you sitting on it to get your final adjustment? With it being a new chain I would say it does need to stretch. try it again after a couple weeks and see what you get.

Well I've got the chain replaced and a new air filter on. had a problem with the chain though. I followed the directions but with the right amount of links and the axle adjustment rotated all the way back, there was still too much play in the chain. So i took it off and pulled one more link, installed it and now with the axle adjustment all the way forward, there is almost no play in the chain. WTF?

I'm just going to take it easy and let it wear itself in some.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was nothing to adjust. I did sit on it and ran it some while being in the air. I'll just take it easy and give it some time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts