Honda ATV Forum banner

Is the problem internal (clutch) or electrical (tcm/tps)?

• Clutch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electrical

• Mechanical

• Something else

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Got the cap off today, and the outermost tube. Not sure how to get the inner tube out.

Looks like I'm gonna have to pull front driveshaft out and pull the front cover...

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
So after avoiding this thing for quite a while (almost a year, lol) I decided I either needed to fix it or tell him to take it to the stealership.

I ended up standing it up on the rear rack, pulling the front cover, took the oil pump apart, re-cleaned it, did the same with the valve body. Saw nothing out of place, nothing but clean in the valve body and oil pump. Orings looked good, everything looked good.

So I bought the oil pressure gauge and fitting required to do an oil pressure test on the valve body that controls the transmission.

Got the front cover, water pump, valve body bolted back up, and dropped it on 4 wheels again. Cranked it up, and the dang thing shifts now.

:icon_ peace:

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

So, whatever. It works. Don't know what was wrong with it, and don't know why it works now, but it works, so I'm going to check out the rattle the top end has, get all the plastics and stuff bolted back on, and give it back to him before something else goes wrong, and tell him to NEVER bring me a Rincon again.

On the rattle, had a .25 over bore done with new piston and rings, new oil pump chain, and new timing chain. I adjusted the valves but need to recheck them. I suspect the tensioner might be the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Well I pulled the tensioner off (one of the bolt heads was slightly rounded off, had to remove the header pipe to get the tensioner off). It appeared to work as it should. Could not be pushed in as it came out.

Put it back on, and replaced the header pipe and the noise is still there but not as loud.

I noticed that the clamp between header pipe and muffler wasn't tightened at all when I took the header pipe off. Wonder if what I'm hearing is an exhaust leak?

Got dark on me yesterday while messing with it. Will tighten up the exhaust clamp today and see what it sounds like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned a 2003 Rincon 650 for over a year and have been reading this forum from day one! I can almost always find answers here. I started with a Rincon that was smoking when I bought it and the prior owner told me it wouldn't go into 4th gear!:laugh: So I found that it needed top end service and that the wrist pin had severe wear. So a new crank/rod and top end service later I have it all back together and it runs like new... In first gear! When I shift from 1st to 2nd it feels like it's down shifting or almost locks up the back wheels... Nothing grinds or makes any noise it's just like the break is applied. I pulled the codes and have 10 (tcm) and 11 (tps) But I thought that could have been triggered by the disassembly process so I cleared them and they haven't came back. the service manual list a trouble shooting procedure for this that points to the 1st clutch... But it shifted great before the rebuild. Any suggestions on where to start would be great!
Take it out of automatic mine does the same thing if it's in automatic an it only has 3 gears on them an that's it no more an no less

21 - 25 of 25 Posts