Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! My rancher has me stumped...Out of complete nowhere I got a sudden chatter in engine. Pulled valve cover checked valves, exhaust valve way out, adjusted, chatter went away. While running after valve adjustment, sitting there idling it died like someone hit the kill switch and would not start back up. Messed with switch nothing, pulled plug checked spark, had great spark. Put my hand hand over the intake cranked, pulled plug, plug was wet. So I have spark and fuel. It was sucking through the intake and blowing out of the exhaust. Thought maybe it jumped time. Pulled it apart and it did not jump time. Long story short I'm as far as I can possibly go on it...As in I have the cam completely out the motor lol any help would be awesome!! Thanks guys

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
What about compression? How many psi vigorously cranking with the throttle held wide open?

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
service manual calls for 97 psi ( I would want around 100 myself ? )..lol. old trx300's wouldn't even start unless they had at least 100 psi min !.

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
Well I had excellent spark....Would a bad CDI box be telling it to spark at the wrong time?
no. a bad c.d.i. box won't even let it spark. if it's sparking the plug ?, and it's out of time ?, it won't run. this would mean the cam chain is stretched, and it's firing out of time. or...as we said..no compression ?.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was perfect on timing...I'm gonna get a new cylinder, piston and rings and we will see where we go from there! Thanks guys
. Hi guys! I know this post is old but just wanted to share what was going on with the rancher! I put a new piston and jug on it and got is assembled, ran well for about fifteen minutes then died again like before. This time I notice the exhaust sucking a little bit so I thought stuck valve. Popped cover off rotated engine a few times and noticed exhaust valve was way to tight. Re adjusted and it fired right back up. Ran again for 10 minutes died. Popped cover off and valve was too tight! So the whole time I was just losing compression through the exhaust valve because some it was tightening up on its own. New jam nut on the adjuster and were back to rolling!! Thanks for all the inputs!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.