Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I took the front case off of my 2wd and put the 4wd case on it off of my donor bike. The two machine's motors are exactly alike other than the front cases. I have read in so any places where this is not possible. It is. My Honda dealer said they didn't know if it would work and told me to go buy a 4x4 and don't try and make one. Well, Honda made it, i just played with it a little bit. I pulled the front a arms off with the knuckles and a right and left assy. I didn't want to risk the a arms being different as that is very possible. Plus, i didn't feel like fighting upper and lower ball joint nuts, so I left verything together. While it was all apart, I replaced the wheel bearings. It is easier to swap the cases than it is to swap motors. I swapped the case with the motor still in the quad.

Good luck!

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something!!

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
yes it can be done, I've done it, a few times. question is, what frame did you use ?, a 2wd or 4wd frame ?, because the 2wd frames are not made from the factory to bolt the front differential in, they left out the mounting nuts in the frame. now...if you used a 4wd frame ?, then yeah, simple process.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
correct

Both of you are correct. the frames are exactly the same minus the welded nuts. I figured if that is all I had to worry about. ILL TAKE IT! I snagged two nuts from the donor unit and wiped my hands of the only "issue" I had.

If I could give any advice. Soak it all down with PB Blaster, I did not break ONE bolt.

FYI: It is smart to use the angle sensor off of the motor that is being converted.(you knew it worked before, and it should again), also, the angle will be retained form where the motor was before you took it apart. I also swapped out the ES shift motor also, again its safer (I feel) to put those pieces right back on as they came off..

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
Rancher 350 frames are the same between 2wd and 4wd from what I remember, you just need the diff, axles, knuckles etc etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
frames are the same, yes, but..they did not weld the mounting nuts to bolt the parts up in the front, they give ya the holes though !..lol. the frame is the same, you are correct :).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have you had a chance to drive either of them? I have a 2x4 and have all the parts to swap to 4x4 minus cv axles... hopefully getting them after christmas.

I have read that the full time 4x4 sucks and makes the steering terrible, and others say it isn't too bad. What is your input on it?

Now that I almost have everything, I'm debating whether I should do it or not

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've totally driven it! I USE mine! I wouldn't trade what I did for anything, especially BUYING a 4X4 LOL (obviously you have priced them like I did if you're considering the swap)!... It was a seamless swap, everything fits right up. In fact, on my unit, there were the welded nuts in my frame that shadetree thought would not be there. FYI

As far as drive-ability with full-time 4X4, I don't see an issue with mine. In fact, it may even be a little easier with the tires pulling. At higher speeds it is a little more responsive instead of the rear tires kind of following, the front is pulling along now. You will notice the sound another gear box as well and maybe just a fuzz difference in power, but nothing that is terribly debilitating. Trust me, if I didn't have faith in this project, I wouldn't have done it. I can't afford to be without my bike...

I paid $750 for the donor bike that had a "shifting issue" and the rear end was blown out of it. I'm going to wait out the summer, and maybe put it together as a 2WD and sell it to regain some money?

I'll post pictures as soon as I remember to take them when I'm out there!

·
Registered
132 Posts
That helps alot!!

I got my bike with a blown motor for basically free, along with 2 chinese atvs and a chinese dirt bike.

The rancher came with another good block from a 4x4 so I put new piston, cylinder and valves. Runs great and has the front output shaft already.

My uncle has the same quad and his frame rusted out so we went and picked one up frome a guy on Craigslist and sure enough he had all the front 4x4 parts. Got all the 4x4 stuff minus cv axles for 130... Couldn't pass on that.

I was worried that after I put it all on I might regret it. Sounds like I wont. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
What is there to debate, throw a 424 on it and have both 2wd and 4wd. Personally I've had my 4wd Rancher for 16 years and have no complaints about the steering lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 424, on my 300 best mod/add on i ever did to mine, you can't go wrong with one of those, IMO

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Have you had a chance to drive either of them? I have a 2x4 and have all the parts to swap to 4x4 minus cv axles... hopefully getting them after christmas.

I have read that the full time 4x4 sucks and makes the steering terrible, and others say it isn't too bad. What is your input on it?

Now that I almost have everything, I'm debating whether I should do it or not
If I still had my 350 I would be doing this mod to it.... I like that it is all still Honda parts

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/performance-modifications/87489-350-rancher-selectable-4x4.html#post778945

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honda makes a great machine no doubt there..!

What really surprised me is the fact that information on this is SO scarce.. I can't believe that someone somewhere hasn't posted more in this swap, especially since these units are getting up there in age and there's been a long time for ppl to play around with changing things. I didn't take step by step photos alloutdoors, I wish I did. I was so stuck on getting it done, I just spaced. And thanks for the compliment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts