Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I posted before about some basic maintenance points for my new purchase of a Honda atv and got some amazing info that helped a lot. So I figured I would try to get help again on here to avoid stealership prices.

I have rode atvs my entire life and never had this problem so it’s new to me.

My 03 Honda rancher after its warmed up seems to idle high and when you turn it off it will back fire once it dosent back fire while riding just when you turn it off I also noticed gas leaking from somewhere on the carb any help would be appreciated

Thanks Miller

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The 350 Rancher carbs are notorious for leaking out of the overflow.

Take the carb off, take the bowl off of the bottom, and you'll see the float with needle valve. Replace the needle valve with a new one, and polish the seat where it goes with a qtip and some polishing compound (even toothpaste will work). Put the qtip in a drill and let it spin in there to polish the seat.

As far as idle is concerned, is the choke working properly? There is an idle control knob on the bottom of the carb that you can adjust idle speed with. Clockwise speeds up the idle, counterclockwise slows it down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know the choke is working I know if I pull the choke it helps to start atv in cold weather and seems to idle down when I push it back down. And it don’t seem to idle high till the bike warms up

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
As far as I know the choke is working I know if I pull the choke it helps to start atv in cold weather and seems to idle down when I push it back down. And it don’t seem to idle high till the bike warms up
High idle when hot is a classic lean condition in the slow/idle circuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What is the slow idle circuit? Sorry I’m very unfamiliar with carbs. I guess I’ve been really lucky to never have any carb problems in the past.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
What is the slow idle circuit? Sorry I’m very unfamiliar with carbs. I guess I’ve been really lucky to never have any carb problems in the past.
There is an adjustable idle mixture (pilot) screw on the bottom of the carb. See attachment... a tachometer is not necessary for adjustment like the book says, as long as you can readjust the idle speed close by listening to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys recommend I just buy a new oem carb? Or a rebuild kit. After some research I believe I can do the repairs, If not throwing wrench’s around the garage always works :). I guess my big question is was this adjusted by the previous owner to make up for something else wrong? I bought the atv a month ago and haven’t rode it much due to work and new baby born. I changed the oil and air filter and diff gear oil. I took it to my farm and relized there was a issue with it. Should of rode it more before buying but the bike seems in perfect shape no damage and motor seems flawless.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I would see what you can do with the existing carb first.

Try using that page Retro posted and see if you can tweak it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts