Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys on my 03 trx350 my foot brake is stuck! I took off everything that's holding it on and it wont slide off the pivot arm so is it worth fixing or should I just try to use my hand brake? the hand brake was real lose feeling before and even holding it in it wouldn't slow the 4 wheeler down and I need some kinda brakes on It fronts not working eather. The backs has brand new pads they just suck kinda reminds u of a bycycle that used brake pads when u change them out they never worked as good as they did from the factory

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It is just rusted on. Try PB Blaster.......pivot and pull, spray.......pivot and pull, spray...... It will come off. When it pulls off just a little, spray behind the peddle on the part of the shaft just exposed and push it back down on that freshly lubed portion. It will come out easier and easier each attempt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I try prying it off and everthing its on there good I gave up on it. the back brake works with the hand brake but it sucks big time it wont even hardly slow it down. the brake pads are new on it as well. thing I hate about Hondas is there crappy drum break design.

the foot brake will go up and down by forcing it but it wont side off the pivot at all.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Just like misterclean said, keep working at the pivot point with penetrating oil. If you haven't tried penetrating oil it won't budge. Once it does budge after soaking, keep working it. It'll loosen up if you keep at it and eventually you'll be able to get it apart and then reassemble with grease. Mine was exactly this way but we eventually got it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
yeah I used wd 40 no luck
No luck *yet*. Mine took weeks to free up. Be persistent. Give it a dab of spray every time you ride it.

·
Premium Member
12,493 Posts
I know what you are going thru , I spent a lot of time getting them freed up and off , like mentioned keep soaking it and working it up and down , but get something better than WD40 , Deep Creep by Sea Foam is good stuff , Aero-Kroil is the best in my book , if all else fails use heat from a torch

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I had to use a two jaw puller on my Foreman to get my brake pedal off. But it eventually came free with no damage other than it and the post needing to be bead blasted, de-rusted, greased and reassembled.

But yea, that rear brake design could have been better which is why I eventually went with the rear disk brake upgrade from SuperATV. Very happy with it.

Rick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK cool so jaw pullers work I was thinking about using jaw pullers. Was it kind u rent from autozone ?

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
That three jaw puller will be difficult to make work on a brake pedal unless you surgically attach a third arm to to your shoulder. Two jaws is easier to keep the jaws corralled while you tighten the puller evenly on the center of the brake pedal post. Or maybe I'm just too clumsy to handle three jaws.

I bought my puller years ago and have continued to find uses for it. So I recommend buying or perhaps borrowing one rather than renting. They are not that expensive.

Rick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
worked on it today no luck still wont come off I'm not sure what kinda puller u used do u have a pic of what it looks like. we used a 3 jaw puller and made it into 2 but its at such a angle when tighting that it just turns the puller side ways. I'm about ready to take a cut off when and cut it downa and split it and clean it real good and buy a used pedal off line for it.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
o yeah the 3 jaw we made looked like that when we made it into a two but its as such a angle it just slides off when trying to tighting.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
There was no way that my brake pedal could resist the power of a good two jaw puller. I suggest you find something similar to remove yours so that you can clean the pedal up and reuse it.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm thinking maybe the pedals was made different mines a 03 trx350 and theres nothing to bite ahold of on it to use a puller

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I worked on it again today! beat on it lube it with pb blaster! tried the jaw puller ever way possible its just not going to come off. I even drill a hole in it to see it I could get some lube up in it. I got it to where its free enough to push with your foot but the return spring wont make it return so I'm going to see if I can buy a heavy duty spring tomorrow the local nut and bolt shop which also has springs. I bet with a strong enough spring it would work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Polish the inside of the spindle connection and the spindle. The hole is roughly 12 Gauge so you can use your gun cleaning tools.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts