Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaks gas out of the overflow tube on the bottom of the bowl.
Had a friend rebuild the carb, still leaks. Replaced with new carb and didn't have much gas so I put in the little I had. Fuel lever on reserve and it started and ran great no leaks, used it 2 or 3 times for short drives in a 2 week period, no leaks. Wifey gets some fresh non ethanol gas so I put some in just until the fuel gauge started to register, maybe a half to 2/3 of a gallon. Turned fuel lever to on instead of reserved, took for a drive to bring garbage out. Parked and checked for leaks, none. 2 hours later I take the dogs out and smell gas as soon as I opened the door. Puddle of gas again leaking from overflow, turned fuel lever to off. Got up the the next AM and the gas had completely leaked out. How can it still leak if the fuel valve is off? Could the petcock (fuel valve) be bad? I did clean out the gas tank while my friend rebuilt the first carb, there was rust from the fuel gauge. I cleaned up the rust and replaced the screen/filter with a new one. Any ideas I am out of hair to pull out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay no ideas?
Can anybody confirm that the carb needs to be level? It is not level it is leaning in a little, wouldn't this affect the float?

·
Registered
71 Posts
sounds like the float needle isnt seating properly, or the float itself is getting hung up. check that the carb cleaner didnt swell up the rubber tip on the float needle

i had a similiar issue on my sport bike.. i took the carbs off the bike, and rigged then up to the gas tank to see which one was leaking.. then replaced the float, and needle as they came in a pair, and all was good

As for your petcock, it must not be working right because Off means OFF. no fuel should get by in that postion. id double check the position again.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I would also maybe suggest doing a carb rebuild kit, to help rule old parts out
is this an OEM carb or aftermarket, as aftermarket carbs can be HIT or MISS on working right!

next, YES 100% fuel peacocks can go bad, they can gum up, or just not work as they should

and don't forget that even when fuel peacock is OFF< there is still fuel in line from valve to carb, and a carb bowel full of fuel
so, till ALL that leaks out or is run dry
it can just be leaking that fuel in the system?
one way to help see if fuel value is working or not
is start atv, turn to OFF position and see if it runs lines dry?

leave in off a while an come back and see if MORE fuel filled the carb and lines again?
as could be just a SLOW leak past things in the OFF< or could be running like its NOT in off, pending what is wrong with it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies it is a new OEM carb from Partzilla, it leaks from the overflow tube underneath the float bowl. Got a new petcock and went to put it on and noticed a bit of rust in the tank again. It's coming from the fuel gauge which I cleaned already so I just ordered a new fuel gauge. The screen filter should have blocked any rust but maybe some got by? The carb is mounted with a slight lean, should it be level?
My neighbor was the first 1 to take the carb off and clean it, he got it running but the leak started after he worked on it. Thinking he didn't put it back on quite right, maybe?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jeepwm69 but my new petcock is supposed to be delivered today. I read your thread and that's exactly what mine does, shake the bike and the gas starts flowing. The old carb and the new OEM carb do this. I never leaked gas originally, it just wouldn't start. Neighbor cleaned the carb and it ran but started leaking gas. I found rust in the tank so I cleaned that out and discovered the screen filter was torn, replaced it. So I am thinking my neighbor didn't put the carb back on quite right, does anyone know if it should be perfectly level or slightly tilted?

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Mine appears to be at a slight angle. I wondered if that might be my issue.

Mine stopped leaking with an inline filter, a new fuel shutoff valve, and most importantly, a polished seat and a new float needle. I had a new needle in my carb kit, and it leaked like hell. I ordered another needle and it doesn't leak anymore, but at the same time I polished the seat, and installed a small inline filter and a fuel shutoff valve in the fuel line as I didn't want to drop $40-50 on a new OEM petcock.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Mine appears to be at a slight angle. I wondered if that might be my issue.

Mine stopped leaking with an inline filter, a new fuel shutoff valve, and most importantly, a polished seat and a new float needle. I had a new needle in my carb kit, and it leaked like hell. I ordered another needle and it doesn't leak anymore, but at the same time I polished the seat, and installed a small inline filter and a fuel shutoff valve in the fuel line as I didn't want to drop $40-50 on a new OEM petcock.
all early trx350 ranchers have the carb mounted on the intake at a slight angle, very stupid design ?, if the float sticks ?, ( as in this case ! ), guess where the fuel is headed first ?..the intake valve !!, then the lower engine, then motor damage if you don't catch it ?!!!.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts