Honda ATV Forum banner

2003 Honda 400 ex new owner

833 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rednyforeman500 
#1 ·
Hey guys. New 400ex owner. I've had 450s. Polaris. Just never stuck with one used to buy and sell. This time I want something reliable. I'm going to buy a 2003 400ex stock from visibility. Very clean bike. Guy wants 1600 for it. Anyway if theres anything you guys can tell me to look out for on these specific bikes that would be awesome. I plan on painting the nerf bars. Getting fat boy bars. I want to be able to put a rack somewhere maybe the front. Led bar if anyone can chim in here she is...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forums! Tires are kicked. Check where the chain goes around the front sprocket. If it threw the chain it will crack the case there. Also when you go look at it make sure they dont start it before you get there. You want to see a cold start up. When you ride it make sure the clutch lets out with the lever close to the bars. If its gripping and starting to move only when its almost all the way out the clutch will either be way out of adjustment or need replaced. Keep an eye on the exhaust when its first started and when you ride it for any smoke. A quad of that age will be getting close to needing a topend rebuild. Its missing the front bumper. And mounting a rack on a 400ex is no easy task. You can get a bolt on 6 pack rack for the rear but nothing sold to mount a rack. It will have to be custom built.

#3 ·
I know it's old but these things are built proof and by the sound of the guy doesnt seem to concernd about much. Hes an older gentleman. And for 1500 bucks I cant complain. You really think it would need a nee top end soon? Also you're saying to look out for previous cracks by the front sprocket?

#4 ·
They are bullet proof there is no doubt about that. But everything has its limits. If the older gentleman is the original owner and its been ridden gentle and had proper maintainance it will be like buying a new quad. But if he isnt the original owner its anyone guess who owned it before him and if they actually were aware there is oil in it. When i was buying and selling i had a checklist of things to check. Not saying this guy would be trying to pull one over on you. But its possible he dosnt know about the problems and the previous owner pulled on over on him. Just saying it happens and i have seen it countless times. The chain can come off from just normal riding and if it does it can hit the crank case and crack it. Again seen this many many times. I would also lift the front and rear of the quad and shake all the wheels up and down and side to side to see if any of the bearings are getting loose. The rear carrier on these quads will fail very fast if it was being jumped or ridden on very rough trails. The stock carrier bearings were a very common weak point. All the aftermarkets update the bearings to double wide bearings and billet carriers.

Reactions: _Wilson_
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.