Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall

I have a 2003 Foreman 450. Went to crank it the other day and all the lights were off (neutral,4wd,dash, headlights). Hooked up battery charger and it fully charged in 15 minutes. Pull start will fire it right up. I shorted out the solenoid with a screwdriver and the 4wheeler will fire up instantly with the key on and in neutral. All my fuses are good in the fuse box. Any suggestions on where to start or anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
28 Posts
First thing i'd try is confirming you've got power going into the quad in the first place, hook up a multimeter and turn the ignition on. If it draws you've got power. If not check to see if you've got 12V going into the ignition switch. If all that checks out i'd check your ground cable (not sure where it is on this particular unit) could have some build-up on it from water, debris etc.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Hey yall

I have a 2003 Foreman 450. Went to crank it the other day and all the lights were off (neutral,4wd,dash, headlights). Hooked up battery charger and it fully charged in 15 minutes. Pull start will fire it right up. I shorted out the solenoid with a screwdriver and the 4wheeler will fire up instantly with the key on and in neutral. All my fuses are good in the fuse box. Any suggestions on where to start or anyone else had this issue?
start with the simple checks, battery fully charged ?, ALL fuses good ?..there is a hidden fuse on some atvs that are not in the fuse box ?, but outside of the fuse box, its not really a fuse -fuse ?, its looks like a tiny open end wrench ?, it is inside a small black box that opens up. if all these are good ?, then use a 12 volt dc test light to make sure you are getting power to the ignition switch ?. i can tell you right now ( i own this very same model/year atv ) if they sit for some time ?, the battery WILL drain !. the display draws power off the battery even when key is off !. either install a battery tender ?, or disconnect the battery all together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts