Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 foreman 450 es. I cant get it to select any gears with the electronic shifters. It will select with the manual lever. There is no sound that the electric shift motor solenoid is working when the shift button is pressed. It flashes three times for the fault code. I have changed the angle sensor already. Battery has plenty of life and it starts fand runs fine.
Any ideas please?

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
are you getting power to the electric shift motor when you press the shift buttons ?.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
Thanks for your reply
I’m not so good at checking electrics. I have a meter, could you advise how to do this please?
Thanks
unplug the connector to the electric shift motor, with a meter set on 12 vdc, probe the harness side of the harness connector, have a helper press the up or down buttons on the bars, you should see the meter read 12 dc when this is done. if not ?, then your either not getting power from the buttons ?, or to the buttons on the bars ?.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unplug the connector to the electric shift motor, with a meter set on 12 vdc, probe the harness side of the harness connector, have a helper press the up or down buttons on the bars, you should see the meter read 12 dc when this is done. if not ?, then your either not getting power from the buttons ?, or to the buttons on the bars ?.
Thank you. I will check it out and let you know what happens.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
Thank you. I will check it out and let you know what happens.
you can also use a 12 vdc test light to do the same thing a volt meter will do :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can also use a 12 vdc test light to do the same thing a volt meter will do :).
Ok so I have tried all that and then took of the electric gear shift motor. I found that the shaft that the quadrant gear sits on ia sheared off. It can away with the quadrant gear in the motor housing. That accounts for the angle sensor 3 flash code I guess.
I now need to decide if I will replace the shaft or convert to a manual shift.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
Ok so I have tried all that and then took of the electric gear shift motor. I found that the shaft that the quadrant gear sits on ia sheared off. It can away with the quadrant gear in the motor housing. That accounts for the angle sensor 3 flash code I guess.
I now need to decide if I will replace the shaft or convert to a manual shift.
yep..very common problem with the es models stripping out stuff in the front. es models are junk in my book, manual shift is the way to go !.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Foot shift models frequently strip out the shift drum inside the transmission, requiring a rebuild. Foot shift models are junk in my opinion. ES models are ten times better.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
Foot shift models frequently strip out the shift drum inside the transmission, requiring a rebuild. Foot shift models are junk in my opinion. ES models are ten times better.
oh really ???..is that why there is 10 times more es models up for sale on cl's than manual shifts ?, better yet !!!..why do i, we, us, you ( maybe ? ) see all the members that join always seem to have shifting issues with es models more than manual shift models ?, you really should do more research before you try to tell others that es models are better than manual shift models ?, because you clearly do not have a clue what your trying to tell everyone here. and if you think i am making this up ???..THEN GO DO A SEARCH ON THIS SITE, AND SEE FOR YOURSELF HOW MANY ES THREADS THERE ARE ?, THEN TELL ME HOW MANY THREADS THERE ARE ON MANUAL SHIFT MODELS ?..I'LL BET YOU A MONTHS PAY CHECK I AM RIGHT ?..WANNA TAKE THIS BET ???. AND NOOOOOO...SHIFT DRUMS DO NOT STRIP OUT FREQUENTLY ON A MANUAL SHIFT !, PLEASE SHOW ME THREADS WHERE THE SHIFT DRUMS ON MANUAL SHIFTS SHOW THE SHIFT DRUM STRIPPED OUT ????!!!..YOU CAN'T !, BECAUSE IT IS NOT TRUE !.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
@Geoff h , please ignore subzero, has no clue what he/she speaks of ?!!!.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think that replacing the broken shaft requires removing the engine.
If you don't want to invest that much time, you could remove the front cover, enlarge the shaft hole, weld the broken end back onto the shaft, then replace the front cover with the weld inside the enlarged hole. Oil flowing thru the hole should not escape because the shift motor plate is enclosed.
I am sure the shaft was broken by the manual shift tool so you will have to stop forcing it.
Converting to a foot shift would be easier, but the shift shaft breaks on foot shift models too.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
I thought the forum might like these pictures so other people can see what happened and my ATVs was showing 3 flash fault code.
and its just like i called it, broken shift shaft !. the motor will have to be removed, and split in order to replace that shaft. too further dwell into this area bro...the es's are very prone to having the shaft break off at that very spot !..why ?..because honda made the shaft too narrow right there !!!!. manual shift shafts are MUCH thicker in this area..they do not break off like the es models do !.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
I think that replacing the broken shaft requires removing the engine.
If you don't want to invest that much time, you could remove the front cover, enlarge the shaft hole, weld the broken end back onto the shaft, then replace the front cover with the weld inside the enlarged hole. Oil flowing thru the hole should not escape because the shift motor plate is enclosed.
I am sure the shaft was broken by the manual shift tool so you will have to stop forcing it.
Converting to a foot shift would be easier, but the shift shaft breaks on foot shift models too.
i don't know how you or others that have road manual shift models and broke the shifting shaft ??, but i can tell you this !..i've owned nothing but manual shifts in my life time..AND NOT ONE SHIFTING SHAFT HAS ...EVER !!!..BROKEN ON ME ON A MANUAL SHIFT ?!. keep pushing the es models bro..i'm sure you and i will see plenty more es threads pop up !..lmfaooo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts