Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 TRX350FM Rancher. My problems are with the lights being dim and the electric start (and cooling fan too). The lights work but are always dim when on and the starter works but I already went through a battery after about a week and a half (then it just died). I'm thinking it's the regulator, and hoping it's not the stator.. I was told about a three way diode in the fuse box, does this have any significance? All the fuses look okay, haven't changed the wire harness since it was purchased. I just replaced my brush kit. And also I don't think the fan runs after the motor gets hot. I'm going to put a new battery on tomorrow and see how long it lasts, if it dies again, I think I will try a new regulator.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me.
Thanks for any help. :)
PS: I live in Alaska, I run it in cold weather.
It is an awesome machine, I would just like to fix the electrical problem.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
I have a 02 TRX350FM Rancher. My problems are with the lights being dim and the electric start (and cooling fan too). The lights work but are always dim when on and the starter works but I already went through a battery after about a week and a half (then it just died). I'm thinking it's the regulator, and hoping it's not the stator.. I was told about a three way diode in the fuse box, does this have any significance? All the fuses look okay, haven't changed the wire harness since it was purchased. I just replaced my brush kit. And also I don't think the fan runs after the motor gets hot. I'm going to put a new battery on tomorrow and see how long it lasts, if it dies again, I think I will try a new regulator.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me.
Thanks for any help. :)
PS: I live in Alaska, I run it in cold weather.
It is an awesome machine, I would just like to fix the electrical problem.
welcome to the forums. first off...cold weather will kill a battery quickly. if you can get your bike to run..take a volt meter ..set it on 12v dc..with the prongs on the right battery connections..rev the atv up..watch the volt meter..does it go up in volts as you do this ??..if it doesn't..then your stator or reg/rec is bad..i would replace the reg/rec first..being this is easier to change out than the stator. if you change out the reg/rec..and your battery doesn't last long..then your stator is bad..and this is not a job to replace if you don't know what your doing..as you will need to pull the motor in order to replace the stator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a new battery in last week and it just died again today, I am going to replace my regulator and see if that helps. It was working good for several days. I'm hoping all the regulator is the problem. It sounds like it is. I will try to get a voltage meter and check what you suggested. Thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts