Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2002 500 Honda Rubicon with Warn 424, 2020 KTM 350 EXC-F
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Need some advice, when I ride, the back end seems to bounce (you can physically feel it) about every second or two.
First, about 10+ years ago, I installed a Warn 424. About 5 years ago, Rebuilt once b/c grease caked up. Overall it works great.
Second, I have 2 different size tires on. See attached pics. the front height is about 24 inches, back tires (cheap from china) are about 22.5 inches.

All advice is appreciated.
Cheers
Chris

Attachments

· Registered
35 Posts
Hello all,
Need some advice, when I ride, the back end seems to bounce (you can physically feel it) about every second or two.
First, about 10+ years ago, I installed a Warn 424. About 5 years ago, Rebuilt once b/c grease caked up. Overall it works great.
Second, I have 2 different size tires on. See attached pics. the front height is about 24 inches, back tires (cheap from china) are about 22.5 inches.

All advice is appreciated.
Cheers
Chris
Bent rim?

· Registered
37 Posts
if it is 4wd you cant have 2 different size tires. if you do you probably done put the driveshaft in a bind and bent it. i put 28s on the back of my 500 foreman 2013 and 29.5s on the front same tires just different sizes and bent my driveshaft and it bounced real bad because of where the driveshaft goes to the diff it was bent and caused the rearend to be in a bind and the only thing it could do not to be in a bind was twist.

· Registered
8 Posts
if it is 4wd you cant have 2 different size tires. if you do you probably done put the driveshaft in a bind and bent it. i put 28s on the back of my 500 foreman 2013 and 29.5s on the front same tires just different sizes and bent my driveshaft and it bounced real bad because of where the driveshaft goes to the diff it was bent and caused the rearend to be in a bind and the only thing it could do not to be in a bind was twist.
Unless you have different gearing in the differentials to compensate for the tire size. You just can't rotate the tires from front to rear.

· Registered
8 Posts
If your differentials are geared for different size tires, i.e. smaller front, and larger rear, you should not have a problem as the transfer case gearing remains constant, and the gearing change would be done in the differential. If they are geared for the same size tires(both differentials geared the same), you can only run the same size tires front and rear otherwise, you would get the bucking or bouncing as said above.

· Registered
35 Posts
Well I’m glad you said that, I was about to but 26’s on the front of mine and keep the 25’s on the rear!! Ain’t doin that now!

· Registered
37 Posts
If your differentials are geared for different size tires, i.e. smaller front, and larger rear, you should not have a problem as the transfer case gearing remains constant, and the gearing change would be done in the differential. If they are geared for the same size tires(both differentials geared the same), you can only run the same size tires front and rear otherwise, you would get the bucking or bouncing as said above.
thats exactly what i said lmao

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ordered new back tires. Same brand and model as fronts. Hopefully didnt damage driveshafts or warn 424.
Front tire have about 100 miles so tread height difference (hopefully) won't be an issue.

Side item:. I lifted the rear and spun the tires with a bucket right by the middle of the tire. I noticed the gap went from about an 1/8 inch to approximately 5/8 of an inch when I spun the tire. Is this normal? Tire issue or rim issue? Rims are aluminum. Rims are beat up after 20 years of riding

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tires are now off rims. One rim is out of round. It's aluminum so this weekend I will try to round it.
Anyone have advice how to round out an aluminum rim (special tools, heat it up, YouTube video to watch)?
New tires ordered. Will update thread when they are on in 2 or 3 weeks
Thanks to all for the advice
Tires are now off rims. One rim is out of round. It's aluminum so this weekend I will try to round it.

Anyone have advice how to round out an aluminum rim (special tools, heat it up, YouTube video to watch)?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts