Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I'm having 2 separate but POSSIBLY related issues with a 2002 Rancher 350 ES. The first issue is that the starter is not working, I replaced the solenoid thinking it had quit but still all I get is a "click" from under the seat. Sometimes it will work but most times I have to pull start it. I have another machine that I can likely swap starters with to check and see if it has just finally checked out but I thought it could be also related to the second issue with the machine possibly thinking it's in gear.

I've basically lost my electric shift function - but there are some odd things about what it's doing. What's strange is that if I start the machine, I have my forward gears both shifting up and shifting down just like they should...but I can't get into reverse. From neutral I can hit the down shift and there is no sound, nothing. If I throw on the mechanical shift pedal and shift it that way...everything is fine. I can up in the gears, go down in the gears, and in and out of reverse. BUT........once I've used the mechanical shifter while the machine is running my electronic shift quits completely - no more forward gears, nothing, no sounds, nada. If I shut the machine off and restart it then it goes back to me I having my forward gear shifting functions.

I've swapped out the angle sensor with a known working one from my other machine and get the same results. I know the gear shift/actuator is working fine since like I say it goes through the forward gears no problem/no binding/etc. until of course I use the manual shifter.

Anyone else have this odd problem or know what I need to be looking to repair or replace next???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just from reading through all the forums - it sounds like my next suspect part to try and swap out or clean up the connection on the reverse switch on the bottom of the motor....

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
Just from reading through all the forums - it sounds like my next suspect part to try and swap out or clean up the connection on the reverse switch on the bottom of the motor....
that switch has nothing to do with it not going into reverse !. only thing that switch does is tell/show you, you are in reverse. soooooo..with that said, do this !. at the reverse cable on the left brake side, the reverse cable has an adjustment nuts on it, adjust the nuts tighter to pull the reverse cable lever at the back lower of engine tighter. my thinking is when your trying to shift down into reverse with the buttons ?, the lever back at the rear is not moving far enough to allow the es shifter motor to change gears. also check to make sure your reverse cable is good and working ?.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a look at that Shadetree - however I did do some adjusting on the cable system since I had previously had it nearly maxed out like some folk had suggested so that I actually didn't have to make use of the red button to go down into reverse. It appeared that cable and lever are moving freely and also it will go down into reverse manually but it could be like you say that maybe the cable itself has stretched out enough that the ES shift motor isn't recognizing it as being far enough forward.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
I'll take a look at that Shadetree - however I did do some adjusting on the cable system since I had previously had it nearly maxed out like some folk had suggested so that I actually didn't have to make use of the red button to go down into reverse. It appeared that cable and lever are moving freely and also it will go down into reverse manually but it could be like you say that maybe the cable itself has stretched out enough that the ES shift motor isn't recognizing it as being far enough forward.
just remember !!!..even if the lever is going up high enough to go into reverse ?, then this falls on the electric shift motor, and the transfer gears at the front to change into reverse !.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So could it be that the shift motor itself could have worn down and isn't quite "strong enough" to do the downshift into reverse, even though it is working perfectly fine up and down through the forward gears - is that what you mean Shadetree???

I've got a second identical machine which is nice for swapping or testing out parts so I can always steal what I need temporarily to check something out.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
So could it be that the shift motor itself could have worn down and isn't quite "strong enough" to do the downshift into reverse, even though it is working perfectly fine up and down through the forward gears - is that what you mean Shadetree???

I've got a second identical machine which is nice for swapping or testing out parts so I can always steal what I need temporarily to check something out.
no, that's not what i mean. the shifting shaft that pokes out the left side of the engine ?, es models have an emergency shifter tool to operate this shaft, this shaft goes inside the engine, connects to a longer shaft that runs from front of engine to back of engine. at the front of this shaft on front of engine, this shaft has splines, on these splines is a transfer gear, that connects to the other transfer gears, which end up tied to the electric shift motor gear. back as the shifting shaft, if the splines are stripped out on either the shaft or the transfer gear ?, then this will cause the shaft at the foot rest sticking out to have slack/play in it. you also can have a bad part at the rear of the engine on this shaft. look your model up on micro fich, and find this shaft and connecting parts i speak of, then you will get a better understanding of what i am saying here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll see if I can’t find what you’re talking about Shadetree - I’m a little confused. But every once in a while I DO get a downshift with my controls. When I don’t, there isn’t any sounds whatsoever that would indicate that anything is moving or trying to move like when gears or a shaft appears stripped, but it’s possible. Would there be notable play on the shaft for the emergency shifter??? Since it seems tight and functions as it should.

It really seems more electrical than mechanical since it just sort of started here and I’ve been using it to launch my jetski so was thinking a connection got water in it and has possibly caused some corrosion or connectivity issue.

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
I’ll see if I can’t find what you’re talking about Shadetree - I’m a little confused. But every once in a while I DO get a downshift with my controls. When I don’t, there isn’t any sounds whatsoever that would indicate that anything is moving or trying to move like when gears or a shaft appears stripped, but it’s possible. Would there be notable play on the shaft for the emergency shifter??? Since it seems tight and functions as it should.

It really seems more electrical than mechanical since it just sort of started here and I’ve been using it to launch my jetski so was thinking a connection got water in it and has possibly caused some corrosion or connectivity issue.
try looking at the es parts in the transfer case where your es motor is located, very posb you have a bad angle sensor ?, stripped transfer gears ?. stripped shafting shaft ?, maybe even a loose bolt on the end of the shift drum ?. while you have all this apart ?, clean out all the old factory grease, put some fresh grease back in there where all the gears are, es motor splines, shifting shaft splines, replace the angle sensor while your doing this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Shadetree - thought I’d follow up man but I finally got a chance to do some testing and low and behold it appears to be that rear reverse sensor switch beside the reverse lever at the rear of the motor. My connector is actually in pretty poor condition and given that I’ve been backing the jetski into the lake - likely got some connectivity issues. Cleaned it all up as best I could since it’s at the lake and did some di-electric grease on it and BAM!! Got all my gears back and shifting like new.

On a side note my starter issue which I thought could possibly be related due to the machine not detecting a gear properly turned out to be - the starter. Wasn’t working...click click click. Took everything off and hit the switch - Click - gave the starter the old wrench smack and vroom. Repeat - click - smack = vroom. So may be able to clean off the brushes or nab a used one.

So thanks again for the replies and happy riding!

·
Super Moderator
38,355 Posts
Hey Shadetree - thought I’d follow up man but I finally got a chance to do some testing and low and behold it appears to be that rear reverse sensor switch beside the reverse lever at the rear of the motor. My connector is actually in pretty poor condition and given that I’ve been backing the jetski into the lake - likely got some connectivity issues. Cleaned it all up as best I could since it’s at the lake and did some di-electric grease on it and BAM!! Got all my gears back and shifting like new.

On a side note my starter issue which I thought could possibly be related due to the machine not detecting a gear properly turned out to be - the starter. Wasn’t working...click click click. Took everything off and hit the switch - Click - gave the starter the old wrench smack and vroom. Repeat - click - smack = vroom. So may be able to clean off the brushes or nab a used one.

So thanks again for the replies and happy riding!
good deal !, thank you for the update !!.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts