Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Rancher 350 ES .
Been having trouble with the electrical shift .
The symptoms are the bike goes into all gears by manual . It shows on the screen all the gears buy numbers and letters. The neutral light is on and show on display. The reverse light comes on for a couple of seconds. So the light works. But won’t shift buy the buttons.
: I have checked the whole wire harness no breaks and continuity on all wires from computer to connector.
: new angle sensor and tested . Clean the reduction gears and re-lube also test the control motor with 12v went forward and reverse
:Change out the ECU with a new one.
: Checked the up down shift switch for continuity all good. Also rest of the buttons on the unit work fine.
:The reverse switch is good it ohms out good when I pull the lever back.
I’m at a lost can anyone help . Should I test the speed sensor.

2015 Honda Rubicon 500
42 Posts
Yes, test the speed sensor. Does anything happen with you push the shift buttons? Does it make a noise or try to shift at all?
Can you convert it to a foot shift easily and just keep it as a foot shifter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, test the speed sensor. Does anything happen with you push the shift buttons? Does it make a noise or try to shift at all?
Can you convert it to a foot shift easily and just keep it as a foot shifter?
I tested the speed sensor and it was it seams ok . I’m not sure how to test it . I got resistance on both out side wire to middle . I got 5 v on each leg of the up /down switch’s back to the ECU . But no power going to the shift motor . No noise from the shift motor. Probably because of no power to motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you I will check it in the morning. Let you know what I got .
Sorry Joe/everyone
So I been rechecking and rechecking my work on the ES system. I checked ever sensor twice maybe three times all good . Thanks for the info on the speed sensor.!!What I’m finding the previous owner did some work on this system . So there is a lot of broken clips and also bad plugs . Especially the computer 22pin connector. It looks like they use a multi meter test leads and broke the pins and stretch them out. I found a new 22pin connector and it pins . Going to give that a shot. Also I order a bypass shift shift kit with a timer that only allows it to use the same harness and won’t allow the motor to run for a second or two per push of the factory shift switch. Everything is pointing to the computer . But it’s a brand new one . I will keep you up dated on what I find . But if you have anymore suggestions I’m all for it . Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got a new terminal connector for the wire harness that attaches to the ECU . Also a new connector for both side of the up down switch/ on off. Found that the speed sensor wasn’t reading good anymore. It’s intermittent at times . So I order a new speed sensor. The dealer said up too three weeks or sooner because of Covid. But I will put the harness and all the sensors back on and adjust the clutch this week. Just wanted to up date this post . Also made a manual hand lever to put it in gear to move it in and out of the garage. When I get it back together.

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Just don’t put too much torque on that piece i think only 2lbs force required that shift lever might be discussed in owner’s manual

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some good news. Its working now !!!!!!!!. I replace the ECU terminal connector. and the shift terminal connector in the front of the bike. Got the connectors from cycleterminal.com. Thanks for all of your guys knowledge it help very much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts