Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK, gotcha. The parts breakdown shows the rear cover having a neutral switch that looks similar. Could be a typo since the service manual mentions a reverse switch that's separate from the gear position switch in that spot. Are you getting a reverse light display on the gauge at all?
Yes I’m getting a reverse light and have no issues shifting into reverse manually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Another thing I noticed. On the conduit that I used the wires for the speed sensor, oil temp sensor, gear indicator, reverse switch, etc. there was this wire casing that looks to be sheared off and broken. Is there supposed to be a wire here and where would it go?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like that would have originally covered the wire to the reverse switch since yours is unprotected and doesn't have the rubber boot either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The switch in that photo looks like the oil temp sensor, not the one for reverse. I thought the reverse switch was part of the gear position which is under the rear cover. Or do I have this mixed up?
Yes...those two things look almost identical. The dealership first gave me the oil temp sensor and I didn't realize it until I had driven 45 minutes home :rolleyes:. I believe the connectors are actually the same also, which makes it even more confusing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another thing I noticed. On the conduit that I used the wires for the speed sensor, oil temp sensor, gear indicator, reverse switch, etc. there was this wire casing that looks to be sheared off and broken. Is there supposed to be a wire here and where would it go? View attachment 149985 View attachment 149986
Is that blue connector one that YOU installed? Or was it one that was on there when you got the ATV? The reason I ask is I'm curious if the previous owner connected the temp sensor wire to the reverse position sensor. They are easy to confuse. I'm just going off of how YOUR wire come from the right side, and mine comes from above the sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oh, and by the way...my ATV I am referencing is my son's '06 Rancher, not my '07 Foreman as in my
Is that blue connector one that YOU installed? Or was it one that was on there when you got the ATV? The reason I ask is I'm curious if the previous owner connected the temp sensor wire to the reverse position sensor. They are easy to confuse. I'm just going off of how YOUR wire come from the right side, and mine comes from above the sensor.
The blue connector was always there. The blue part is what’s left of the boot that was over the connection. I believe it’s the correct wire because the wire from the reverse switch is grey/red and goes to the ecu, and the wire from the temp sensor is solid blue and goes elsewhere.
The blue connector was always there. The blue part is what’s left of the boot that was over the connection. I believe it’s the correct wire because the wire from the reverse switch is grey/red and goes to the ecu, and the wire from the temp sensor is solid blue and goes elsewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like that would have originally covered the wire to the reverse switch since yours is unprotected and doesn't have the rubber boot either.
I agree. Notice how mine has the 90-degree bend in the connector?

That blue connector looks nothing like my connector. I think someone has been in there trying to repair things. That being said, when I replace my sensor, the connector was a bit loose, so they may have been trying to correct some "loose-ness". When I get home, I'll try to get a pic of the connector on mine with the boot off.

Regardless, I'd try a new sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I agree. Notice how mine has the 90-degree bend in the connector?

That blue connector looks nothing like my connector. I think someone has been in there trying to repair things. That being said, when I replace my sensor, the connector was a bit loose, so they may have been trying to correct some "loose-ness". When I get home, I'll try to get a pic of the connector on mine with the boot off.

Regardless, I'd try a new sensor.
That’s my plan. If not I’ll try an angle sensor. A service manual I found says it should read from 0 ohms to 1600-2400 ohms. Mine reads from 600-1950

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check the reverse position sensor (I believe that's what it's called). It is often overlooked because it is on the back of the engine and hard to see. This was what was causing all kinds of havoc for me, causing all types of no shift issues. I lucked out and had a dealer let me borrow an ECU, but it didn't make any difference. The sensor is about $15 and I haven't had any issues since. And I had swapped/cleaned/tested EVERYTHING!

Hope this helps!
What does "all types of no shift issues" mean? Could you be more specific?
Someone reading this might think replacing the reverse switch will fix all shift problems, but it won't.
The reverse switch should read continuity to ground when in reverse gear, and no continuity when not in reverse.
Many people say replacing the angle sensor will fix all problems, but it won't either. I bet there have been thousands of angle sensors replaced unnecessarily.
The angle sensor should be 5000 ohms across the outside pins, and 2500 ohms to the middle pin from either outside pin. These readings are with the connector disconnected. When you push/pull the manual shift tool, the middle pin reading should change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What does "all types of no shift issues" mean? Could you be more specific?
Someone reading this might think replacing the reverse switch will fix all shift problems, but it won't.
The reverse switch should read continuity to ground when in reverse gear, and no continuity when not in reverse.
Many people say replacing the angle sensor will fix all problems, but it won't either. I bet there have been thousands of angle sensors replaced unnecessarily.
The angle sensor should be 5000 ohms across the outside pins, and 2500 ohms to the middle pin from either outside pin. These readings are with the connector disconnected. When you push/pull the manual shift tool, the middle pin reading should change.
Based on that both my angle sensor and reverse switch would be bad. I ordered both last night and the price was reasonable so I might as well replace them both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solve all of your ES shifter problems by installing a bolt-on shifter. Installs in 1 minute and never have problems again.
Order you shifter below.
Call 6016789101 or ordering information

21 - 32 of 32 Posts