Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Honda Rubicon Foreman that my stepfather has neglected for the past 15 years. It has been in his garage collecting dust. My goal is to awaken the beast. It only has 100 hours on it and pretty much in prime condition.

I have done the following:
-Replaced the battery
-Changed the Oil (yes, all 5qts)
-Replaced the differential fluid
-Replaced the spark plug
-Removed all the old gas
-Removed old gas from carb
-Removed gas tank for clean out
-Removed the "crud" off the gas indicator (yay! it will work again)
-Replaced the Petcock, gasket and filter
-Replaced the coil (for sparkplug)
-Replaced the Regulator
(once running I will tackle the coolant flush and brake fluid)

Houston: we have a problem. I can't seem to generate a spark from the spark plug...even after replacing the coil and regulator. Next logical step is the Stator.

However, the stator is not very accessible to change out. I am wondering if anyone has any videos/tutorials/materials/point me to a previous thread - to help me out performing a stator replacement?

This one may be a bit out of my "mechanical league" and may need to bring it into the shop (which is currently dated to go in mid-November 2021 [it's currently Sept 2021]).

Thank you all!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2002 Honda Rubicon Foreman that my stepfather has neglected for the past 15 years. It has been in his garage collecting dust. My goal is to awaken the beast. It only has 100 hours on it and pretty much in prime condition.

I have done the following:
-Replaced the battery
-Changed the Oil (yes, all 5qts)
-Replaced the differential fluid
-Replaced the spark plug
-Removed all the old gas
-Removed old gas from carb
-Removed gas tank for clean out
-Removed the "crud" off the gas indicator (yay! it will work again)
-Replaced the Petcock, gasket and filter
-Replaced the coil (for sparkplug)
-Replaced the Regulator
(once running I will tackle the coolant flush and brake fluid)

Houston: we have a problem. I can't seem to generate a spark from the spark plug...even after replacing the coil and regulator. Next logical step is the Stator.

However, the stator is not very accessible to change out. I am wondering if anyone has any videos/tutorials/materials/point me to a previous thread - to help me out performing a stator replacement?

This one may be a bit out of my "mechanical league" and may need to bring it into the shop (which is currently dated to go in mid-November 2021 [it's currently Sept 2021]).

Thank you all!
For spark issue I would check throttle sensor on side of carburetor,and plug wire the aftermarket plug and coils are not very good , but my aftermarket throttle sensor I bought for it was bad from factory I’m not a Honda mechanic but own one also would make sure it had the NGK IJR7A9 spark plug hope this helps!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For spark issue I would check throttle sensor on side of carburetor,and plug wire the aftermarket plug and coils are not very good , but my aftermarket throttle sensor I bought for it was bad from factory I’m not a Honda mechanic but own one also would make sure it had the NGK IJR7A9 spark plug hope this helps!!
Appreciate the feedback BigJohn!

I ended up bringing it into the shop and they diagnosed as a bad kill switch! I ended up NOT having to use the newly purchased Stator (which got returned). Then shop also did a carb clean for me.

I did a radiator flush and now everything works great!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts