Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I want to know if glitter/metal is normal in oil after somewhat hard running conditions but under a very short drain interval?! Oil used was supertech 10w40 conventional and oci was about 2 hours of run time. The recon has many hours of run time around 10,000 hours last time I checked compression it was 200psi but I’m worried I may have hurt the engine.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
was this oil made for wet clutches ?. from looking at your pics ^^^, seems to me you have something wearing causing all that metal in the oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No this oil is not certified for wet clutches I thought I’d try it out because other people have had decent results out of it. I had noticed the clutch wasn’t grabbing as well I wasn’t able to spin the tires well at all in wet soil and gravel I have changed the oil and put in amsoil 0w40 and a little mix of delo 400sde.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clutch is grabbing like it did before the supertech when I put the jaso ma rated amsoil in it. The valves have never been adjusted either could this be a factor in all the metal in the oil? It does have a notable tick while running.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
The clutch is grabbing like it did before the supertech when I put the jaso ma rated amsoil in it. The valves have never been adjusted either could this be a factor in all the metal in the oil? It does have a notable tick while running.
ticking could be from just about anything ?, valves ?, cam chain ?, who knows ?. what I do know is, NEVER RUN ANY OIL IN AN ATV THAT IS NOT MADE FOR WET CLUTCHES !. as to why you have metal in your oil ?, hard to say ?, I doubt its from your clutches though ?, I just don't know ?. when I see metal like that in the oil ?, this tells me something is wrong somewhere ?!. could be rings ?, piston skirt ?, bearing shavings ?, some where its making contact inside the engine where its not suppose to be ?. hard to say at this point :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that something is making contact where it shouldn’t be I wonder if using high end oils was masking this issue all along thanks for the tip to never use anything not rated for wet clutches.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
I agree that something is making contact where it shouldn’t be I wonder if using high end oils was masking this issue all along thanks for the tip to never use anything not rated for wet clutches.
yw. using any oil other than oil made for wet clutches just causes problems. reason: reg auto oil has friction modifiers in it, so this makes it very slippery !. were is oil made for wet clutches does not. in other words, auto oil will make your clutches ( friction disk ), and centrifugal clutch if it has it ? ( the arm weights ) slip big time !, which will burn them up over a short time :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I should note is the engines tick is a lot louder intill the engine runs for a few seconds after startup then it quiets down to a softer tick.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
One thing I should note is the engines tick is a lot louder intill the engine runs for a few seconds after startup then it quiets down to a softer tick.
I would check cam chain slack to be sure but could use a replacement. Compression might be good but sounds like you have a ton of hours on it.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
17 yrs old, I would bet the cam chain needs replacing, and valves checked/adjusted !.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Rotella T4 conventional or Rotella T6 synthetic. Take your pick, both are very good quality extreme-duty motor oils, for all ATVs. Walmart should have them both in stock at decent prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts