Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought a 2002 honda rancher 4x4 es back in december, I rode it a couple times. Then one day while i was out on the trails the es stopped functioning, so i got out my wrench and shifted it to 2nd gear and rode back. The wrench works for all the gears. The display works 100% properly. I got a new angle sensor and that didnt fix it so i took off the shifter motor and tested it with a 12v battery and it works fine. The battery is in good shape and the fuses are all good so i dont know whats up, any ideas?????

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
02: Could you hear the shift motor trying to shift when you depressed the shift buttons?
If so....... Then, remove the shift motor and gears. Remove all the old stiff, gummy grease out of the shift gears (clean it out very well). Then, replace that grease with a liberal amount of All-Temperature, White Lithium Grease. Then, reassemble.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldnt hear the shifter motor trying to shift or anything

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey man so I have the same problem as you and I read in the manual that maybe there is a message being sent to the ECU/ECM saying there is a problem and this will prevent any electric shifting

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
I found a link to a Honda Repair Manual Helmut posted hit has an ES troubleshooting guide.

Listed under Honda ATV Schematics Honda Rancher Repair Manual

www3.telus.net/leneng/pdf/Honda_Trx_350_Rancher_Service_Repair_Manual.pdf

paste this address into your browser and add the http:// in front of it; click enter; this page will take at least a minute to load, but then display a pdf manual for 2000-2003 Honda Rancher 2WD and 4WD series.

·
Super Moderator
38,373 Posts
if everything is working cept not shifting ?, then I would bet the ecu/c.d.i./pcm is bad.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Before you go dumping cash for a PCM, shift motor, angle sensor, etc get out your multimeter. and test the following. . .

Disconnect the control unit 22P (gray) connector
and measure the voltage between the Black/
green ( ) terminal of the harness side connector
and ground ( ) with the ignition switch turned to
‘‘ON’’.
There should be 11 V minimum. ----no voltage??? Open circuit in Black/green wire or a Loose or poor contact of related terminal
normal???
Disconnect the control unit 5P (brown) connector
and measure the voltage between the Red/yellow
( ) terminal of the harness side connector and
ground ( ) with the ignition switch turned to
‘‘ON’’.
There should be 11 V minimum. no voltage????Open circuit in Red/yellow wire or a Loose or poor contact of related terminal
normal??
Check for continuity between the Green terminal
of the control unit 5P connector and ground.
There should be continuity. No continuity????Open circuit in Green wire or a Loose or poor contact of related terminal
normal??
Measure the resistance of the angle sensor at the
control unit 22P connector
out of range ??
Disconnect the angle sensor 3P (white) connector
and perform the same inspections at
the angle sensor terminals.
Normal??
Open or short circuit in
related wire
Loose or poor contact of
related terminal
out of range??
Faulty angle sensor
Remove the angle sensor
Visually inspect the sensor shaft hole and
gearshift spindle for wear or damage.
Abnormal??
replace the damaged parts
normal??
Measure the resistance of the angle sensor by
removing it from the engine.
abnormal is a faulty sensor
normal??
Check for continuity of the gearshift switch at the
control unit 22P (gray) connector
abnormal??
Disconnect the 10P (green) connector and
perform the same inspection at the switch
side 10P connector terminals.
abnormal??
Faulty gearshift switch
normal??
Open or short circuit in
related wire
Loose or poor contact of
related terminal
There is a little more test procedure in the manual if you need the manual let me know or go to our manuals section

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
first step in troubleshooting the ES is to ensure the clutch is adjusted properly

·
Super Moderator
38,373 Posts
first step in troubleshooting the ES is to ensure the clutch is adjusted properly
the clutch has nothing to do with it not shifting. this is all electronic doings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Before you go dumping cash for a PCM, shift motor, angle sensor, etc get out your multimeter. and test the following. . .

‘‘ON’’.
There should be 11 V minimum. ----no voltage??? Open circuit in Black/green wire or a Loose or poor contact of related terminal
normal???
‘‘ON’’.
There should be 11 V minimum. no voltage????Open circuit in Red/yellow wire or a Loose or poor contact of related terminal
normal??
There should be continuity. No continuity????Open circuit in Green wire or a Loose or poor contact of related terminal
normal??
out of range ??
Normal??
Open or short circuit in
related wire
Loose or poor contact of
related terminal
out of range??
Faulty angle sensor
Remove the angle sensor
Abnormal??
normal??
normal??
abnormal??
abnormal??
Faulty gearshift switch
normal??
Open or short circuit in
related wire
Loose or poor contact of
related terminal
There is a little more test procedure in the manual if you need the manual let me know or go to our manuals section
Would this apply to a 2007 rancher 420 es also? the thing won't shift into gear without alot of effort, then when it's warm it shifts fine. Or should I remove the shafts and gears clean them and reapply lubricant?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts

‘‘ON’’.
normal???
‘‘ON’’.
normal??
normal??
out of range ??
Normal??
Open or short circuit in
related wire
Loose or poor contact of
related terminal
out of range??
Faulty angle sensor
Remove the angle sensor
Abnormal??
normal??
normal??
abnormal??
abnormal??
Faulty gearshift switch
normal??
Open or short circuit in
related wire
Loose or poor contact of
related terminal
Would this apply to a 2007 rancher 420 es also? the thing won't shift into gear without alot of effort, then when it's warm it shifts fine. Or should I remove the shafts and gears clean them and reapply lubricant?
Try a different brand of oil like valvoline full synthetic for motorcycles

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's never had any oil except honda atv oil. I need to find the manual I downloaded so I can visualize how it's all connected. I take it from your answer the oil lubrcates the shift mechanism. why would one post say somthing about taking the gears and shaft out to clean then putting lithium grease on them? I wouldn't think allowing the grease and oil to mix would be good for the engine long term.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
the electric shift models have an electric motor that shifts gears, in side this motors case the factory grease goes bad, and gets sticky or can hold moisture and freeze in cold temps causing shifting issue's(not shifting porr shifting, not shifting when cold, and so on)
and it sounds like what your problem is, and its why they have suggested you open this up, remove old factory grease out and add new water porrf high/low temp grease. to see if this solves your issue's
its a very common issue with e shift honda's and its the most common cure for the trouble!
several guys on this site like kentco, have done this with great results, maybe PM kentco and ask for a how to if your not sure, he seems to know a LOT about this issue!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi Drasser: Don't take the shift motor apart -- just remove the motor, then the gear box case -- Then clean out the old grease ( red circle)-- replace grease with a good amount of with high temp lithium grease -- then line up the spindle gear (Green circle)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you guys for the information. I may tackle this in the next few days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I just bought a 2002 honda rancher 4x4 es back in december, I rode it a couple times. Then one day while i was out on the trails the es stopped functioning, so i got out my wrench and shifted it to 2nd gear and rode back. The wrench works for all the gears. The display works 100% properly. I got a new angle sensor and that didnt fix it so i took off the shifter motor and tested it with a 12v battery and it works fine. The battery is in good shape and the fuses are all good so i dont know whats up, any ideas?????
I have a 2002 as well I have owned since new I have a weird shift problem when I first start up and start driving everything shifts fine until I go though all the gears then it stops shifting when I shut the key and turn it back on it shifts fine again until I go though the gears and then it stops shifting again I have replaced shift sensors and have a fresh battery I'm thinking shift computer any ideas would be great this is a well maintained unit always garaged

1 - 17 of 17 Posts