1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 500 Honda Rubicon with Warn 424, 2020 KTM 350 EXC-F
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here,
Have a 2002 Honda 500 Rubicon. Hondamatic tranny
I noticed when going up hills it started to slip. When I change gears manually, it seems fine (so far).
I have used it to pull a 1200lb trailer around the yard (not the brightest idea), and going up a small hill is when this started.

Any suggestions on where to start looking or testing to narrow down the issue is appreciated.

Thx
Chris G

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I'm probably wrong but if not the clutch should be adjustable under a left side cover. Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw one full turn. Tighten lock nut and see what happens

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not much of a mechanic, can you tell me the name of the screw/nut i am turning so i can find it on a diagram?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm probably wrong but if not the clutch should be adjustable under a left side cover. Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw one full turn. Tighten lock nut and see what happens
There is no "change clutch" on this version of the Rubicon and therefore no adjusting nut.

There is a centrifugal clutch though, and if that is slipping there is no adjustment and needs to be replaced.

Reactions: Goober

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the engine oil level. If the oil level is low, these models will slip on inclines.
I had the same issue with a 400 Rancher years ago. The transmission and crankcase use the same oil so that is why the tranny will slip if the oil level falls below normal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check the engine oil level. If the oil level is low, these models will slip on inclines.
I had the same issue with a 400 Rancher years ago. The transmission and crankcase use the same oil so that is why the tranny will slip if the oil level falls below normal.
Also to test clutch get bike on flat ground moving about 25 MPH and in 5th gear peg throttle and if speed increases clutch might be OK. Also make sure using correct oil. Certain additives cause slip. Last check exhaust baffle is not loose and will slide back on hills causing back pressure and loss of performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just to provide an update.. Thanks for the advice above i check the engine oil. dipstick was dry. I filled and tested.. it felt better. The dipstick was dirty so i did a oil change.. of course 1 only bought 4 qts and it takes 5.2. Once the new oil arrives I will update all with the results of the test drive with new oil.

thx again

·
Registered
9 Posts
just to provide an update.. Thanks for the advice above i check the engine oil. dipstick was dry. I filled and tested.. it felt better. The dipstick was dirty so i did a oil change.. of course 1 only bought 4 qts and it takes 5.2. Once the new oil arrives I will update all with the results of the test drive with new oil.

thx again
Make sure it is MA oil and not energy conserving, etc. I personally use the Honda Gold bottle semi-synthetic since new on everything since 2003.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts