Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2002 350 4X4 Fourtrax. I was hauling a small load of rocks to dump into my woods when I came up to a small hill. Usually I have no problems hauling my wood up this hill, but this time, only the front wheels were under power. I heard a noise, but thought nothing of it until I noticed the rear wheels weren't doing anything but turning. I have not tore anything apart yet, so I am just trying to find out what this could possibly be? Do they have a shear pin or something along that lines in them?
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. If it did it all of a sudden, then it's probably a broken u-joint, or stripped splines on the driveshaft, pinion shaft, or even the axle. There's really no way to tell until you take it apart. You can check to see if the u-joint is broken by loosening the clamps on the rubber boot at the rear of the engine and sliding the rubber boot back. If it's not that, the axle will need to be removed and checked and if the splines aren't stripped on the axle, you will need to unbolt the differential and check the pinion shaft splines and the driveshaft splines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea's. I will definately check the u_joint first and go from there.

Thanks again,
Joe

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums! sounds costly whatever it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, i have a yamaha timberwolf 4x4, i was out in the fall and rolled it, afterward i went trhough some mud and climbs some hills and nothing was wrong. when i was riding home down the grid road i didn't notice anything wrong with it. Once i neeed the 4x4 to climb a hill again it wasn't there, i only had power to the front wheels. When i jack my quad up there is still only power to the front wheels. Im assuming i broke somehting? even when moving however there is no sounds that something is broken. Now that the snow is gone and the sled is parked, i want my quad fixed. If anyone has any advise i would greatly appritiate it!
Sincerly Devyn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has done the same thing. I took everything apart and saw nothing broken and all the splines look good. Still no power. Have you found a fix?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts