Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4-wheeler will start and run ok for a while but then it will only crank but not start. It has a new battery, kill switch is in proper place and it has gas. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
can you explian better what you mean

does it run for a while,. get HOT them stall out/shut off on its own
or, is it a issues with running it, YOU shutting it off, and then it NOT restarting?
different problems so this is why I am asking
better info you give US< better help we give YOU

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you explian better what you mean

does it run for a while,. get HOT them stall out/shit off on its own
or, is it a issues with running it, YOU shutting it off, and then it NOT restarting?
different problems so this is why I am asking
better info you give US< better help we give YOU
It has not gotten hot. Is is just turned off for a few minutes to several minutes and won't restart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how many miles/hours on the motor?
have you don't s compression test?
It has lots of miles but has been maintained well. We haven't done a compression test. I think there is a real need to take it to a shop...
Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
well if it has a LOT of hours on it, it could be down on compression, low compression will cause funny running conditions and once warmed up, cause starting issue's as well
that was why I asked
all the care in the world will not change the fact there is wear and tear as time goes by and miles/hours add up,moving parts wear out, just nature of the beast!
have you checked the spark plug to see what it looks like, or even Just replaced it with a new one?
it could be something simple here and NOT a bigger problem
name of the game is ruling out all you can

a cdi going out can also cause you funny running/starting issue's

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well if it has a LOT of hours on it, it could be down on compression, low compression will cause funny running conditions and once warmed up, cause starting issue's as well
that was why I asked
all the care in the world will not change the fact there is wear and tear as time goes by and miles/hours add up,moving parts wear out, just nature of the beast!
have you checked the spark plug to see what it looks like, or even Just replaced it with a new one?
it could be something simple here and NOT a bigger problem
name of the game is ruling out all you can

a cdi going out can also cause you funny running/starting issue's
I have not checked the plug...also it doesn't start when I pull the cord but does turn over just like with the key. I will get back to it tomorrow. Again, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
are you sure the battery is good also?
as if the battery gets weak it will NOT spin the starter fast enough to start, easy way to find out is pull battery, take to a chain auto parts store, and have load tested , its free and takes just a few minutes!

and air filter is clean and free flowing?
and what about the fuel cap vent line, as if that gets blocked as heat builds from running it will stop fuel flow to carb and thus NOT allow atv to start
as atv sits a while, air will get back in things and allow for some flow, (START UP Short run time) and then repeat the no run/start issue
next time it won';t start, try starting with cap off!, easy enough to try?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are you sure the battery is good also?
as if the battery gets weak it will NOT spin the starter fast enough to start, easy way to find out is pull battery, take to a chain auto parts store, and have load tested , its free and takes just a few minutes!

and air filter is clean and free flowing?
and what about the fuel cap vent line, as if that gets blocked as heat builds from running it will stop fuel flow to carb and thus NOT allow atv to start
as atv sits a while, air will get back in things and allow for some flow, (START UP Short run time) and then repeat the no run/start issue
next time it won';t start, try starting with cap off!, easy enough to try?
Battery is brand new and charged up. It did start and run after new battery was installed. Then next day would not start. I have checked that fuel vent hose previously and I think it is ok. Will try with cap off. I will be picking up a new plug tomorrow and will check in after I install it. Thanks, again for your help.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I will add this, I have bought NEW battery's before that were BAD, so I never rule out anything being good just cause its new
take with a grain of salt, no bash here on it

but I still say it wouldn't hurt to have battery tested!

·
Super Moderator
36,809 Posts
just fyi, a battery has nothing to keep it from starting, least not on that model. this is a spark, fuel, compression, or timing issue.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
just fyi, a battery has nothing to keep it from starting, least not on that model. this is a spark, fuel, compression, or timing issue.
well if its NOT spinning starter fast enough then YES the battery will have a issue with a NO start!, NO????

·
Super Moderator
36,809 Posts
well if its NOT spinning starter fast enough then YES the battery will have a issue with a NO start!, NO????
well..yeah !..lol. did he state how fast it was turning over ?, but yes..your correct :).

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
Take a photo of you spark plug and post it here, that will give us a damn good indication as to what is going on. A compression test would also be of utmost importance, again, take a photo of the reading and post it here In order for us to help you.

This is a fuel or timing issue for sure.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Take a photo of you spark plug and post it here, that will give us a damn good indication as to what is going on. A compression test would also be of utmost importance, again, take a photo of the reading and post it here In order for us to help you.

This is a fuel or timing issue for sure.
or compression or electrical( even a bad spark plug wire can cause this)
or
a bad CDI can cause all sorts of issues
as well as low compression, once warmed up a little and NO go
its about process of elimination here to solve your issue

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had a 350 four trac do the same thing and found the spark plug to be cracked. Simple repair after many attempts! Hope this helps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts