Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this on Monday, very nice ride. One owner and garage kept. Anyways, sometimes it will shift and sometimes it wont. It doesn't blink any and it will go into reverse and shift with the manual lever. This is my first ES Honda. I'm not sure where to start diagnosis. Battery is brand new and charged. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When you say it won't shift, what do you mean? Can you hear the shift mechanism down in the engine clicking when you push the shift buttons, but it just won't shift into gear? Does nothing at all happen?

A very common problem with the shift mechanism is that as the grease in the shifting mechanism gets old it begins to harden and will cause difficult shifting. The solution is to remove the shift mechanism, clean the old grease out, and reinstall it with some fresh grease - it'll work like a charm then.

The grease in my 2004 Rancher had hardened and was causing difficult shifting, so yours being a 2001 it's probably time for a good cleanout.

Edit: Here's another thread discussing this: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/repair-maintenance/108890-1999-foreman-es-shift-problem.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the cleaning and new grease yesterday. Sometimes I can hear the shifter motor and sometimes it does nothing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts