Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just doing some routine maintenance on this machine as it has trouble maintaining an idle without choke until extremely warm (like 5 mins of driving). I'm going to go through the carb and clean it out.

Something I've always wondered is how the choke cable is intended to work. On my old Suzuki it has a lever you can set, and it stays where you put it. The Honda has the pull and when its cold and I have to sit there and hold the thing pulled out or else it returns and dies. I was thinking of ordering a new one since they are cheap but wanted confirmation on its operation.

My thinking is there is a spring inside that is supposed to maintain the tension for you, as opposed to me holding it open. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It’s supposed to stay out until you push it back in. I don’t really know how it works as I haven’t messed with one for awhile, but I assume when the cable is nice and free it will just stay out and when it starts to get stiff or bound up it creates resistance and what’s to pull the knob back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yea. It's supposed to stay out on its own. We put a new choke assembly on my uncle's because his was too stiff to pull out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I put a new choke cable on my Rancher. It does not stay out either.
There is a spring on the SE valve that pulls it back down,
and there is some resistance built into the knob that holds it out for a bit,
but maybe the spring is too strong (or got sprung when I installed it).
The choke on my Foreman stays out much better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The choke cable on my Rancher would also slide down and I would have to hold it in order to work. I pulled the rubber piece up right below the piece you pull on and tightened the nut under there and now stays up and works great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The choke cable on my Rancher would also slide down and I would have to hold it in order to work. I pulled the rubber piece up right below the piece you pull on and tightened the nut under there and now stays up and works great.
Thanks everyone. I'm going to tinker with it based on all this. I've never touch the spring at the other end but maybe its getting rusty and pulling too hard. I'll try adjusting the cable as well.

They are only $13 but money is money!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Video of the tension adjustment:

Believe it or not, a guy at the DEALER showed us this, after years of being frustrated.

The spring inside the carb pulls on the cable to let the plunger be set to choke off in normal use. The tension adjustment at the top helps hold it in place during warm up.

Reactions: retro
1 - 7 of 7 Posts