Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used 2001 Honda TRX350FM and trying to figure out why will start in any gear. Green neutral light stays on in any gear. Also the reverse light not working. Is there a sensor or connection I should check?

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
424 Posts
I hot wired the neutral light on one on the trail once that wouldnt start, it started in gear after that and I dont think the reverse light worked anymore.
The starter only works if the ecu thinks its in neutral, if the neutral gear indicator stops working it wont start, the easy fix is to twist the wires from the switch together, check to see if this has been done, its close to the shifter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
EC85, I have a 98 450es, I went thru the hole wire system (via new harness) on the 98 there is a gear selector switch in the rear cover. my rev & neutral light still remains on (1/2 light). you can check this switch by using a known good used or new by unplugging the connector, plug the other one in. turn the switch slowly and watch your display.

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Download the service manual from the link in my signature block below.

There’s a schematic for the wiring and troubleshooting tips. Your neutral light should not be on unless in neutral. There should be a subharness that goes to you N R and oil temp sensors

When you switch on your oil light should come on momentarily and then go out. Does it?

Is it possible the PO altered the circuitry?

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Broken shift drum so your gear position switch is no longer reading the proper gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Broken shift drum so your gear position switch is no longer reading the proper gear.

Thank you for help Jeepwm69, are you saying the switch is probably okay and the shift drum is broke? Can the gear position switch be tested without opening the engine up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts