Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am fixing a 2000 450es for someone. They say it shifts fine for the first 15 minutes, then quits shifting.

I am located in minnesota so temps are well below freezing. Wheeler is stored in a heated garage when not in use. With out digging into the problem yet or even really understanding how the electric shift works I'm guessing maybe there is water somewhere in the system and it works fine for the first 15 mintues until the water freezes?

----------------------------------------

Just got off the phone with him and he says after it quits shifting it can sit outside and after the motor cools down it will start shifting again.

He also says that the battery goes dead after a little while. Its a wheeler thats used for plowing and uses a winch to lift the plow. Leaving the lights off it will maintain a charge and not go dead.

Does anyone make a kit to change it over to a foot shifter? Seems that the docsatvservice site isn't working.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Why not just get a manual and fix it the right way? :D

Links to Manual in my signature below!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already got one downloaded. Sounded like the battery is the first place to start. Was just hoping it was a common problem among the ES models and somone could tell me what it was right away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could someone tell me what year this is? The last digit is scratched off on the sticker, its either a 2000 or 2003 from what I can tell.

Engine serial is TE22E-8158416

Last part of the number on the sticker on the frame is scratched off but I can read
478TE226XY-------

The stamped number on the frame has the winch mounted over it and can't read it.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
10th digit is the Vehicle year...so Y = 2000

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The engine could be a newer model. But the frame, according to your VIN is 2000. If Helmut was around, he could probably tell you, but you likely will need to contact Honda dealership about the Engine Serial.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Already got one downloaded. Sounded like the battery is the first place to start. Was just hoping it was a common problem among the ES models and somone could tell me what it was right away.
Oh, well, in that case, the angle sensor fails so often on these ES things (all models), it's ridiculous, but I don't like throwing parts at any of my machines, cars included. I like to find out the cause and get to it. Of course, if this guy likes you and doesn't care, then replace the angle sensor and let her rip! :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
welcome to the forum !
as a 2000 foreman 450es owner we dont get any love ....lol
1st thing you need to do is eather charge or replace the battery (i have seen alot of weired things go on with the es system with a low battery )
2nd would be to adjust the clutch (very impporent on the es modales )
3rd check all the electrical conections for dirt and water and put dielectric grease in them for waterproofing !
the es is a good reliable feature if you keep the battery on a tender .......rich

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I will check that first then since its common. Are they usually either good or bad, or can one work intermitently?

I charged the battery, shifting worked fine, rode it around a bit, shifting still worked, let it sit and idle for 5-10 mintues and went inside, came back out and shifting doesn't work.

After that adjusted the clutch and checked fuses, I was only able to find one 30A back by the battery, is the other one located there also? Shifting still doesn't work.

I'm going to put it on the charger now and see if that makes a difference. These wheelers are not user friendly to work on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went out to shop and tried it, I figured before putting charger on it i'd start it and see if it shifts, it shifted into 1st gear, back to neutral and quit working. Put battery on charger thinking just the little extra juice from it may make it work and it didn't.

Whats the purpose of the angle sensor?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I will check that first then since its common. Are they usually either good or bad, or can one work intermitently?

I charged the battery, shifting worked fine, rode it around a bit, shifting still worked, let it sit and idle for 5-10 mintues and went inside, came back out and shifting doesn't work.

After that adjusted the clutch and checked fuses, I was only able to find one 30A back by the battery, is the other one located there also? Shifting still doesn't work.

I'm going to put it on the charger now and see if that makes a difference. These wheelers are not user friendly to work on.
nope..they are def not user friendly !!..lol...if you keep charging the battery..and it works for alittle while...when it does stop working..run a test on the battery...see if it is recharging from the rec/reg ?..this almost sounds like the battery is not recharging from the stator ?..or the reg/rec ?..once the battery in these elec shift models drop down so low ?..they refuse to work !!!..lol. take a 12vdc tester..put it on the battery ..rev the bike..watch the readings on the tester ?..see if the volts climb from 13 to 15 volts as you rev the bike ??..if it does not ?..then i would say your reg/rec ?..or your stator ? is bad.

·
Registered
665 Posts
i had all sorts of shifting problems with mine when i first bought it ........i got advice on a different forum to clean all the connections and use dielectric grease ......havent had a problem in a year shifting . dont forget its 12 years old .
yes there are more fueses under the seat in a black box that says fuesses .........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will try these tests when I get time. I did check all those fuses, like 6 or 8 of them and they were 10 and 15 amp. I'm still missing one 30amp fuse. Is there any more fuses on another part of the machine or are they all back by the battery?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found the last fuse and all were good. From what I can tell it is charging but I do have a new battery to install and try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update, installed new battery and rode it around for 25 mintues, shifted fine the whole time. Reinstalled old battery and ran for 20 minutes (some of the time was with headlight on to try to drain it), and it shifed fine whole time. Unless it was dirty connections at the battery cables I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Update, installed new battery and rode it around for 25 mintues, shifted fine the whole time. Reinstalled old battery and ran for 20 minutes (some of the time was with headlight on to try to drain it), and it shifed fine whole time. Unless it was dirty connections at the battery cables I have no idea.
could have been ???..who know's !..glad you got it fixed for now !.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Friend came and got wheeler, took it home and used it awhile without using the winch, everything worked great. Put plow on and used the winch and it quit shifting. I went out to his place a couple days later and jump started the old battery and plowed for 20 mintues with it and worked fine, installed new battery and plowed more still works. Intermittent problems are very irritating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts