Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my nephew decided to try a slide going 25 MPH with my 2001 foreman 450ES 4x4 and ended up rolling it and him into a ditch (he broke his collar bone and shoulder blade) it ruined the front rack and the right rear wheel was badly bent. I replaced the wheel and removed the rack (looks better without it anyway) now the whole machine sits crooked it leans to the right front and back, I measured the tire clearance from left to right and its about three inches lower on the right side. I have looked it over many time and cannot see anything bent or crooked under it, a friend said he thinks my rear axle tube is bent I cant see that its bent but would that cause it to sit crooked? Other than that it rides and handles like it always has. Any advise would be really helpful.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Did the plastic get pushed down? Can you see any stress marks in it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually the tank and a couple front fender retainers got forced out I had to push down on tank to reinsert some of the body retainers I never thought maybe it was just the body crooked somehow, is that what your getting at? But there was no damage to any of the body panels. My front bumper was pushed down on the right side I believe. I used the winch and a tree to bend it back up and out a little.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm thinking the plastic or the metal mounting tabs that hold the plastic to the frame may have been damaged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forums. Hope that your nephew is OK. Someone will be along to help shortley
He is doing good now thanks! I knew it was a matter of time until he wiped out I was just hoping it would be on the quad I bought for him instead of mine lol , But thats what 16 yr olds do and he is ok and I'm positive he has learned to respect them more..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That never crossed my mind that it could be the body and/or mounts until you asked that. I will strip down the panels and check the mounting holes on the frame.
Thank You very much..

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Keep us up to date! Hope its something simple..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Glad to hear the youngster is going to be fine? I remember doing some of that nutty stuff myself. And I can say that had something to do with learing respect for a machine. Needless to say I also learned the hard way.

Saber6 seems to have hit the nail on the head with the body panels being tweeked or twisted after a roll like the one you told us about.

If the body panels still don't give you the answer you need and you're still trying to find what is out of whack? Take a good look at the shocks on the side that went into the ditch first. The shocks were loaded up side-ways and were under a good load in such a way they weren't designed to go. They may have bent side-ways and they aren't allowing the ATV suspension to return to it's normal position.

It the accident caused a wheel to be bent? Then the shock piston or anything else may have twisted under that kind of force. But like Saber suggested, check the stuff that is easy and cheap to buy (the plastic rivits).

Also knowing you may be upset your ATV is bent? The big thing is keep your emotions out of it while looking for the problem. I've done the same thing and got so frustrated I almost made a very bad decision (like selling my classic 67 Firebird Convertible my Daughter tore the front suspension out of for almost nothing.)

After waiting a day I went out to observe and take notes. When I calmed down I gathered all of the info up and got the parts to fix it. The car ended up not being as bad as I first thought. I fixed it in under a day, and for less than $200.00 in parts. But I almost sold it for a few hundred because of frustration.

This ended up being a lesson I'll not forget anytime soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts