Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 400ex replaced everything that i thought it could be ( plug, wire harness, rectifier, plug cap, cleaned the carb and new gas). There is only one thing left the clutch nutral wire when its connected blows the fuse every time i turn it on, I checked the wire that goes to the main wire harness and the main wire harness is new i also tryed grounding the wire out on the main ground and it still pops the fuse im soo lost.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Clutch neutral wire? well that's the light green wire it runs to a diode comes out of the diode changes to yellow/green leading to the clutch switch and starter relay which give power to the switchs (clutch and nuetral switch) I think I would be looking at the wires leading to the clutch lever you may have a stuck microswitch or a chaffed wire. or a bad bulb socket on the Neutrl light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
soo i wish i never bought this thing ...... there isnt a nutral light...or any lights for that matter also i have an aftermarket clutch lever witch has no wires coming off of it. So whats my next step.... its getting spark and it seems like its getting fuel( spark plug is wet with fuel after i pull it out after rolling it over a few times and i can see fuel coming out of the carb so shouldnt it be starting?

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
Check your compression and valves. just a thought. and the trimming, run down all your wires if its blowing a fuse you got a ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it only blows the fuse when you ground out the clutch wire and it seems to have good compresion.It sucks my hand to the intake of the carb when i manualy choke it and when i put my finger over the spark plug hole it blows my finger off... i know its not very acurate way of testing compresion. ill read up how to check the valve clearance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man i looked everywhere on the internet and i could'nt find any manuals its kinda hard figuring wire problems with out a manual specialy senice this is my first fourwheeler

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
Were you located at. There may be some members on hear that live near buy that can help out. Go to the link I posted up and click on the 400ex and it should start downloading for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i live in nova scotia canada and ya i got it downloaded it was exsactly what i was looking for. thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
If I'm reading your schematic correctly you can bypass the clutch switch with just a jumper wire... this is a N/O switch. If you go to Napa, Advance or autozone or whatever parts store you have there get you a two wire green light you can hook up that for a neutral light. I would think you need to complete the circuit in order to run. As far as the fuse blowing I really think that you have a bad switch or the start button on the bars is grounding out inside due to a collapsed spring, I've seen this before. reason being when you depress the button it closes the contacts and activates power between the yellow/red wire and black the yellow/red leads from the button to the starter relay through that connecting it to the yellow/green which leads to your neutral safety switch and clutch switch the black wire or Batt 2 on the button leads to the ignition key switch and branches off to the NEUTRAL LIGHT..... HINT HINT

Was it running before all of this? I mean with the aftermarket clutch perch?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts