Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, ive got a 2001 400ex it had been sitting over the winter so I finally got it back up and running in the summer and rode it every sunday. I ended up putting a new battery and solenoid in it. Last time i took it out it would not start wouldnt get anything out of it no noise nothing at all. My head lights work but my neutral light has been disconnected since i got it. I jiggled the wires around and I was able to get it to start. Whenever I shut it off on the trails i would be able to start it back up. Now its been awhile since ive taken it out and cannot get it started at all.Its doing the same thing before no noise but lights work. Im thinking its the solenoid? any ideas?

Edit*
It Has seen water multiple times since ive got it back up and running, there is no cover over battery or fuse (not sure if theres supposed to be one?) Ive tried starting it in neutral and in gear still nothing.

· Premium Member
6,604 Posts
If they little light on your dash doesn't light up, the quad won't know it is in neutral. I'm thinking that is your problem

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Make sure the battery is fully charged and check all the connections at the battery and solenoid and starter, to make sure they're clean and tight. If it still doesn't start, try jumping the two posts on the solenoid with an old screwdriver. If it starts, the solenoid is bad, unless something is wrong with the wiring because the neutral light isn't working.

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
Like Red stated above, they usually won't start when the neutral light isn't working, unless it's been bypassed somehow.

If it has always started off the electric start without the neutral light being on, then check the solenoid like I said. If not, I would check the wiring before buying a new solenoid.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like Red stated above, they usually won't start when the neutral light isn't working, unless it's been bypassed somehow.

If it has always started off the electric start without the neutral light being on, then check the solenoid like I said. If not, I would check the wiring before buying a new solenoid.
Yeah I read somewhere else that it wont start if the neutral light isnt on, so i thought it was strange that it was disconnected and would still start. Ill start off with reconnecting it then going for a new solenoid if that doesnt work.

· Registered
1 Posts
i had the same problem and on the left side of the engine there is a wire going into teh case below the shifter turn the key on and put it in neutral and wiggle the wire until the light comes on... that fixed mine... it still does it but the same thing always fixes it i have no idea why it does this

· Registered
3,002 Posts

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I saw shadetree mention this before and I guess I'm still a little bit confused.

Is it the light, or the neutral/reverse switch that the quad is wanting to see? Even looking at the wiring diagram for my quad, I fail to see that the light is completing a circuit that the "gear position switch" or the "neutral switch" is not.

I guess what I am saying is that if your quad has a bad bulb, but the quad is in neutral, will it start? Is the bulb just another "idiot proof" function of ensuring that if the bulb ever burns out, the rider won't know if it is definitely in neutral? If so, I guess I'll be keeping backup bulbs in my toolbox! :D

If your gear position switch isn't working, the OP could be having starting issues as well right? (Push start and no sound?)

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I saw shadetree mention this before and I guess I'm still a little bit confused.

Is it the light, or the neutral/reverse switch that the quad is wanting to see? Even looking at the wiring diagram for my quad, I fail to see that the light is completing a circuit that the "gear position switch" or the "neutral switch" is not.

I guess what I am saying is that if your quad has a bad bulb, but the quad is in neutral, will it start? Is the bulb just another "idiot proof" function of ensuring that if the bulb ever burns out, the rider won't know if it is definitely in neutral? If so, I guess I'll be keeping backup bulbs in my toolbox! :D

If your gear position switch isn't working, the OP could be having starting issues as well right? (Push start and no sound?)
It's the neutral switch that grounds the starting circuit, but the light should be on when it's grounded, unless the bulb is blown. And yes, if the bulb is blown, it can still start. I guess we should have pointed that out, but most of the time, the problem isn't the bulb.

· Registered
3,002 Posts
Thanks Helmut, I almost felt dumb for even asking because I never saw a circuit that depends on the bulb working, but you know me. I have a lot still to learn. I just wanted clarification, I thought I understood how it worked, but then I saw a post where shadetree mentioned the light, and then all the people here. It was probably obvious to you guys, but to anyone reading it, it sounded like if the light is out, it wouldn't start. :) If he's been riding all this time with the light out, then that is a pretty good chance that his LIGHT is not the problem, but likely the switch and/or wiring.

· Registered
2 Posts
That happened to my TRX300 a couple of years ago so I traced the problem to the two fuses next to the solenoid than had blown. Solved the problem until today when I noticed that the light wasn't coming on...and no start.
I'll have to trace the wires like last time and hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.