Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 01 350 rancher manual shift. Cannot find neutral and neutral light does not come on hense will not turn over or start any ideas or has this cropped up for any one else. Also may need schematic to diagnos

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Have an 01 350 rancher manual shift. Cannot find neutral and neutral light does not come on hense will not turn over or start any ideas or has this cropped up for any one else. Also may need schematic to diagnos
the reason it wont turn over is..your bike doesn't know it's in neutral..the elec start will not work unless the c.d.i knows it's in neutral..and seeing how your neutral light isn't comming on..that tells me it's not in neutral..try down shifting it..see if you can find neutral..sometimes the shifting arm inside the case will hang..either that..or it's messed up..bent..broken..in order to fix that..you will need to take the side cover off..in order to get to it..to see where your problem is...if you do get it to go into neutral from down shifting..and you neutral light still doesn't come on..then your neutral light wire lead has came off it's plug..on the right lower back side..near the foot rest..you will see a metal cover with one bolt in it..remove this..after you get it off..you should see 3 wires..one of them plugs into your neutral plug..make sure it's plugged in..if it is..then trace it back through the wire harness..see if it came unplugged some where else along the lead..if everything is plugged in..and you still dont get a neutral light..then your problem is inside the case...bikebandit.com will show you which case side to remove..in order to get to the shifting area..good luck..keep us posted !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not being the most comp literate guy it took me a while but I figured it out. Thanks for the reply. I will investigate all your options and hopefully it's not a case issue. I was not riding the machine when this happened in deep snow ice fishing so it is a start from scratch situation. will report back

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bike is currently in neutral as i was able to load and unload off trailer. so that narrows the field Thanks again

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
bike is currently in neutral as i was able to load and unload off trailer. so that narrows the field Thanks again
good..that means either your neutral light bulb is shot..or it came unplugged from the neutral plug that's at the lower right back bottom side..or somewhere leading away from that. start at the neutral plug < right lower foot rest behind the metal cover >..it plugs in there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will look at tonight and report back thanks again
Shadetree: Well got in deep on the 350. Removed nec. panels but only found small metal sheild on left side behind shifter. Wire inside went to a sending unit directly in front of shifter arm (blue in colour). Traced it back into loom and found no problems. Checked ign. fuse (good). When I turn the key on dash fires up, oil light comes on and speedo, odom etc work. Thought if bulb burnt maybe would start with pull (nope). There are some wires that go in the cover for the recoil What are they? on right side of machine. Is the sending unit I found the correct one? Still looking

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Is your neutral light on, now?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
no everything but
That neutral light has to be on before it will start. If you can find the sending unit for the neutral light on the block, unplug the wire and see if you can tip the metal end on it, to the block. That will ground it and should make the neutral light come on if the sending unit is bad. If it don't come on, then, the hot wire from the battery or solenoid that runs to the neutral light might be bad.

The way it works is, the hot wire runs, either from the battery or solenoid. It can be either one, depending on the 4-wheeler. I can't remember for sure on the Rancher. It(power wire) should run from the battery or solenoid to the keyswitch, then through the keyswitch to the neutral light. Another wire(ground wire) should run from the light to the neutral sending unit on the block. When you put it in neutral with the foot shifter, a metal part on the inside of the block, will tip the neutral sending unit and ground the circuit, completing the whole circuit which will power the neutral light. When this circuit is completed and the neutral light comes on, then it will send power to the electric start and ignition system, allowing it to start.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
By the way, check the kill switch on the handlebar switch and make sure it is in the run position.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Kill switch is in the center. Shadetree mentioned a 3 wire loom, any thoughts?
I think he was talking about the wire for the reverse, oil, and neutral lights where they run to and plug on the sending units. On most ATVs, they run together in a loom and plug side by side on the block. I don't know for sure if yours are side by side, like that or not, but they probably are. I do know that it has them somewhere on the block, but I can't remember if they are side by side or not on the Rancher. Give me a minute and I'll try to find a picture of them.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I couldn't find a picture of them on a Rancher, but here are some pictures on a Fourtrax 300.

In the first picture you will see the switch cover.

In the next picture, you will see the reverse and neutral sending unit above and to the right of the bottom oil seal. You will see the oil temp sending unit to the right of the bottom oil seal at the bottom and to the far right.

In the next picture, you will see each plug, plugged in.

The last picture will show neutral/reverse sending unit inspection/removal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the pics. We had a 300 (1990) I noticed the oil filter housing is in a different position on the engine. But the wiring has to be somewhat similiar. At least I know what to look for. Also, if the bike is in neutal (so it will roll) would there be a mechanical arm or detent that operates the switch inside the engine to operate the switch. Just trying to understand the workings

thanks again

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Thanks for the pics. We had a 300 (1990) I noticed the oil filter housing is in a different position on the engine. But the wiring has to be somewhat similiar. At least I know what to look for. Also, if the bike is in neutal (so it will roll) would there be a mechanical arm or detent that operates the switch inside the engine to operate the switch. Just trying to understand the workings

thanks again
Yeah, that's how it works. When in neutral, there is a piece that tips the inside of the neutral sending unit, which grounds and completes the circuit causing the neutral light to come on. That's why I said to pull the neutral wire off the sending unit and tip the metal end to the block. That should ground it and make the neutral light come on, if the sending unit is bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update. Got a manual and can see the electrical schematics. Ordered a sender. Appears sender goes in behind the speed sensor on rear of engine. Hope it works or its an internal prob,

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Good luck. Hope that fixes it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts