Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys new to the forum and have a few questions...first off im a 4 wheeler junkie but opening up new horizons... Ive owned plenty of quads but never got into the sport bikes always been a mud hog and Ive decided to get a play toy to play on ride wheelies donuts mild speed etc etc no need to explain why lol... just purchased a 01 300ex in good shape bone stock except for it has a set of 400ex rims and tires back tires are like 25 26in (guessing...there pretty tall)...here are my questions....whats the best exhaust system for the money and good performance and jet kit to go along with it air filter etc etc plus cdi box...pretty much just wanting to open up the flow intake an exhaust for the moment and later on maybe some bigger mods just basically bolt on for right now...not looking for all out speed... just wanting good short range acceleration and torque....what is everyones opinions for exhaust jetting cdi to achieve good torque and short range acceleration...not wanting fast just quick... and i already know i need to down size rear tire size

thanks!!

will

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. As for the exhaust the HMF is a really good one. And I would go with the Dynojet kit with a Uni filter. As for the cdi maybe someone that has changed theirs can help.

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Welcome to the forums.. I agree^^^^^ there are more things you can get to improve performance on the 300EX a good after market CDI will help with the rev limit and timing curves too. Post some pics up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks guys! i havent really heard much on HMFwhat would be a good HMF syste to check out?? but have been told by numerous guys i have riddin with that the FMF powercore 4 is a good system for the 300? any input? yes i will have some pics up soon of both of my rides...another question...the clutch feels fine and is really smooth doesnt slip but when you release the clutch handle you have to release it almost 95% of the way out before the clutch engages is there an adjustment for that? i would preffer it a little closer in or midway through the clutch handle travel area?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
the clutch feels fine and is really smooth doesnt slip but when you release the clutch handle you have to release it almost 95% of the way out before the clutch engages is there an adjustment for that? i would preffer it a little closer in or midway through the clutch handle travel area?
If you can't get it where you want it by adjusting the cable, then you can unbolt the clutch lever where it goes down into the engine and move it around some until you get it how you want it.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
You will probably have to adjust the clutch at the adjustment down right next to the starter. Or if its letting out way out there it may be getting wore down and probably need changed soon. But as for the cdi i run an amr and its fine. Big gun is better but amr does the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if i end up having to adjust the clutch where is the adjustment located and how do need to adjust it?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks helmut!! ill give it a try!...back to the exhaust the full hmf is a little pricey for me at the moment....im leaning towards the FMF powercore 4...anyone run this system or can tell me anything about it...sound quality etc etc....not wantin to be loud just sound good...loud doesnt make power!! whch alot of people i have seen dont beleive...i seen a guy just the other day who had a yamma hammer warrior with NO exhaust just head pipe with muffle cut off and he swore up an down its better than any mufler you could buy i just laughed at him...didnt even sound good lol....

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Yeah tell him thats a good way to blow it up. You gotta have some back pressure.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you want a little more torque try a 12 tooth front sproket. You will drop a few mph on the top end but gain so much more on the bottom. Plus its cheap. As for gearing, dropping 1 tooth in the front is the same as adding 3 teeth in the rear. I also run a uni air filter. Everyone says stay away from the k&n b/c they let fine sand pass trough, if a prefilter is not used. I have no personal experience with k&n filters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks jgar that was going to be my next question...sprockets....i know the rear doesnt look that complicated to change out but how about the front how much work is involved with that....pretty much i beleive for the moment im just going to go with the FMF powercore 4 system ( for the cost ) jet it uni filter cdi box and drop one tooth and see how it does...i like a little speed but nothin over 60mph id rather be quick just seems more fun to me everyone likes to ride different though!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
sprockets....i know the rear doesnt look that complicated to change out but how about the front how much work is involved with that
The front sprocket is easier to change than the rear.

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
I run the FMF powercore 4 on my 250X and I love it. they sound good.

oh yeah good luck on the 60MPH with no internal mods. 55 maybe. but if tourque is what your looking for then I agree drop a tooth on the front. and drop the tires in the rear to 20-10X9

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well a stock 300ex only goes aprox 55 mph. If you switch the sprocket to a 12 tooth you might loose aprox 3-5mph. I changed the front sprocket for a few reasons.1- I know I could use the same lenght chain, 2- I didnt want my rear sprocket to rub on the swing arm guard. As for changing the front sprocket, all you have to do is remove the chain, remove the sprocket guard (2 bolts), remove the sprocket (2 bolts). Thats it. You can also mess around with the rear tire size. Taller tires= less torque more speed. Smaller tires= more torque less speed. I bought a tusk sprocket and Iam very happy with it. I like to trail ride and the sprocket change has made my ex so much more fun.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The only negative to the 12 tooth front is if you make it fast and add lots of power you shift every 2 seconds. And if you ride alot in the mids like i do you will be bouncing between 2nd and 3rd gear all the time. You could just leave the stock gearing and put some 20x10x9 tires on the back and get about the same out come.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
oh yeah good luck on the 60MPH with no internal mods. 55 maybe. but if tourque is what your looking for then I agree drop a tooth on the front. and drop the tires in the rear to 20-10X9

i know it wont do 60 i was just using that as a number as reference that i could care less about speed...i just would like it to be quick for like 100 yard dashes...im 225lbs and i clocked it today with my g/f driving my mustang and i got about 53-55...

slammed ranger...yea i might not worry about sprocket change due to what you said i dont want to be in and out of gears every 2 seconds ill probably just stick with dropping the rear tire size and see from there after i play with it some...

im working on getting some pictures up hopefully by tomorrow ill have some up!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
man yall have to shift gears every 2 secs too???

dang 300 fourtrax i feel thats all i do, i just go ahead and get it into 5th and cruise.

i wanna see how fast i can get the fourtrax up too stock.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
man yall have to shift gears every 2 secs too???

dang 300 fourtrax i feel thats all i do, i just go ahead and get it into 5th and cruise.

i wanna see how fast i can get the fourtrax up too stock.
Get you a Grizzly and you'll never have to change gears again.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
yea but that just dont seem like fun.

the fourtrax feels like the gears and SUPER short and close and once i hit the next gear it feels like i need to go ahead and hit the next gear.

1st.... blah, what gear. 2nd, wait i felt something, but still to short (thats what she said) 3rd okay now were getting some where but its still winding out fast. 4th not to bad, still kinda short. 5th okay now time to stretch some legs.

im at the point if im racing from a dig or something on a gravel rode, i just dump it in 3rd, its short enough to spin tires and not bog down, then just hit 4th and go ahead and get into 5th. its insaine. and im still stock, with more mods its just gonna get even worse.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts