Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost drive to front wheel then found water in front differential and leaking seal. When attempting to replace seal found the teeth missing on the very end of the inboard portion of the front drive shaft. By looking inside the differential with a flashlight the teeth look good in there and I don't understand how just the short portion of the ends of the teeth were gone unless I had some kind of lateral slop.
My question is can I replace just the inboard portion of the shaft where the teeth are shot? I am in a very remote area of Alaska with no special tools and would like to hear some tips on how to replace the differential seals without a seal puller.
Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
391 Posts
can i get a pic from another angle, and is that a C-clip retiainer at the end?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears to be a round wire retainer clip to me and it is 1/8" from the end of the shaft with the questionable worn area between the clip and the end of the shaft. Seems strange to me and it was the wheel on the end of that shaft that was free wheeling.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I dont think that there ever were teeth at the end (and is it perfectly smooth to the touch? no gouges) , what your looking at are probably the grinder marks from where it was michened, and thats not what worries me were you able to remove this drive shaft without takeing off the C-Clip, i think its ment to hold in the drive shaft so that it cant be removed without takeing off the clip first, much like the axle clips on a chevrolet rearend. IF u were able to remove this axle without takeing off the clip your lateral slop could be from that clip being worn down to much and it not retaining the driveshaft correctly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that was the case how would you remove the ring to pull the axle without disassembley of the differential?

·
Registered
391 Posts
That i dont know, but can u think of any other use for that C-Clip? But back ontopic i think that driveshaft is reuseable and the teeth are unharmed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been told by another source that the c-clip is what snaps and holds the axle in place inside the differential and that the worn end is caused by the shaft being partially removed because of many different reasons then reinserted when moving resulting in the splines on the end being worn down. I have a photo of a new shaft and the end portion in question is not worn. You make a good point about reusing the shaft. My concern is since the end splines in question are gone the clip may come off and any sharp blow to the wheel could result in another axle separation. I live in a extremely remote area of Alaska and can't afford the possibility. Thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
That is where the inner joint was machined the c-clip is what hold it onto the planetary gears in the tranny. removing the seal is easy with a flat screwdirver and a hammer just be careful not to damage the housing. as far as replacing the inner joint they are not the same as the outer it's a tri-pod setup and they can be a real pain in the rear to disassemble i wouldn't reccomend it unless you have done it before they actually have needle bearings on each or the three legs and fall apart upon removal. I don't think your inner is bad though your tranny would suffer first before that steel gave away.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Dang I should read more Im sorry i misinformed you in my last comment I looked at an old auto axle here and yes there were splines on the end. do as diesel camp stated pull the diff apart and you bight find you have either lost a planetary or bearing siezed but either way replace the whole axle sorry about that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts