Honda ATV Forum banner

1081 - 1098 of 1098 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Ya a dremel... button holes get roughed in with a dremel, then I switch over to small shaped hand files, then finish with sandpaper wrapped around various shapes. I started making button holes in the wrong place on that box though... so its been my mockup guinea pig ever since. :)

Whatever bracket we put on the back of the box we are stuck with because once the box is assembled its sealed permanently and can't be reopened without breaking it. And if we drill any holes in the box after it is assembled they'd be weak... and the box would probably be leaky the first time it got wet. So to avoid a universal bracket and make a nice custom fit hidden one, we gotta have a plan before assembly begins.

Your pics really help us a lot. This is all R&D too, so I'm hoping to learn something about brackets. So far they've been a thorn in the side... :)

I have some various extruded aluminum shapes that I cut brackets from, so basically need length/width of the mount and where it should be attached to the back (top, middle, bottom?) of the box, distance between bolt centers and the approximate bracket angle or shape if any... and where the wiring should exit that box. We both enjoy challenges... and we both want to produce good fab work. We can make just about anything we need to, me thinks. So lets go for it, lets make it fit perfectly. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
This first pic shows where I ran the wiring in along the lower edge of the box on the 1st gizmo I made. It also shows the two (sealed) #6 screws and washers that hold the mounting bracket onto the back. The mounting brackets are drilled and tapped and attached to the back before final assembly, so they are permanently attached to the box so far... I have not figured out a better way of doing these things yet while guarantee-ing they'd be submersible. Thats why I began to explore ideas for a universal mount, or for mounting bosses on the back of some type.

The second pic is of a new back half... wires can exit the box anywhere between the screw holes along the top, bottom, right or left sides. Wires can also exit the box anywhere we choose them to on the backside. Wiring can exit through a bracket too. Brackets can be attached anywhere on the backside (near the top, along the bottom, in the middle, on the left or right edges, doesn't matter) as well since its a flat back. If a bracket type or mounting location covers up screw holes thats no problem either, since access for each those screws during assembly can be drilled out of a bracket.

Third pic is of the interior back of the box. We have about 8mm, maybe 9mm of open space available between the circuit board and the back wall once the circuit board is mounted on those four plastic posts. So as you can see we are free to use that space for wiring exits and mounting bracket screws however we need to, as long as we don't interfere with those four plastic posts.

Shoot some ideas at me if ya got 'em and I'll try to show ya an aluminum shape that might fit. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
We might not need a bracket on the back if you put it on your switches plate...? We could run screws out of the back side of the box to use for studs. Then all you'd have to do is drill holes in your switch plate and put nuts on those studs from the backside. Wiring can exit the back anywhere ya like... draw a circle on the back with a marker and take a pic for me. :)

I'm hogging your thread again... maybe we oughta be talking about beer instead of those tiny plastic boxes.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,085
Bad day yesterday , was showing off hitting a deep hole that no one else wanted to hit , water went almost over the gas tank and the engine killed , got pulled out , pulled the dip stick and water got in the crankcase , the air box is dry , pulled the spark plug and no water in the cylinder ----didn't even try to start it and got pulled back , don't have a clue how the water got in and why it killed in the water

thinking about some type of smoke test to the crankcase , maybe a vapor cigarette and a vacuum pump and put the exhaust of the pump into the case

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,086
I went and looked at the 450 in the daylight , there is water in the oil , no water in the air box or cylinder , crank case vent looks good don't see any leaks on the engine , really can't imagine how the water got in other than maybe the recoil start shaft seal

wondering about plugging the crankcase vent , pulling the dip stick and making an adaptor to put some low pressure /regulated air , maybe 10 psi into the case and soaping it down to look for bubbles

·
Registered
613 Posts
Bad day yesterday , was showing off hitting a deep hole that no one else wanted to hit , water went almost over the gas tank and the engine killed , got pulled out , pulled the dip stick and water got in the crankcase , the air box is dry , pulled the spark plug and no water in the cylinder ----didn't even try to start it and got pulled back , don't have a clue how the water got in and why it killed in the water. thinking about some type of smoke test to the crankcase , maybe a vapor cigarette and a vacuum pump and put the exhaust of the pump into the case

You did what???? :shocked: Want to be sure I got this right.
You saw the deep hole. Some of your friends were frozen in fear and others abandoned their bikes and ran screaming into the woods. No one, but you, had the guts to sink into the abyss. Oh wait, you never thought about sinking... nah....not a chance.
You revved the engine a few times, took a gulp of beer, revved some more.... and grinned. "You bunch of wusses, watch this!"

You lunged forward, but stopped. "Honey, hold my beer." Back on the throttle you leaned forward ......varooooommmmmm.
Uh Oh.
"Hey fellas, I could get it out but I'm not showin' ya'll how to do it and I don't wanna get mud on my Yeti. Throw me a rope.... maybe a winch cable.... or two, will ya." "Honey, hand me my beer."

After all that you now what to subject that bike to carcinogenic e-cigarette smoke??? I can't believe you'd even consider that drastic measure. There's gotta be a better way.
I'm sure the guys here will know how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,088
Yep , I knew better than to do it , was "Feeling Cute " , everyone else was by passing it , but it had rained really hard and most all of the holes I went thru was not as bad as usual ------ I find that after a hard rain all the silt goes back to the bottom of the holes and kind of fills them in for a few passes and thought I was going to show them something -----the rope alone wouldn't get me out ( not running ) , a Kodiak 700 Special Edition tried first , then the Can-Am 570 tried ( he was looking for bragging rights that he got it and the Yammy didn't , but didn't get it ) ---it took a winch while another bike was assisting with a rope to get me pointing the right direction and out the hole

So you don't like my vape smoke idea , ever see them vape cigs , they put out massive amounts of thick smoke , I don't think it would work either

I still don't get where the water got in from and what got wet to shut the engine down .
,wondering if it is a two fold problem or one problem

·
Registered
613 Posts
So you don't like my vape smoke idea , ever see them vape cigs , they put out massive amounts of thick smoke , I don't think it would work either

Put down your Hurricane and Beignet and read my witty comment again.

Oh, I think it will work but do you really want to take a chance of giving that coveted bike cancer???? :) Damn, I thought that was funny.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It is already getting a heavy dose of second hand smoke thru the snorkel anyways !!!!

Well, yeah, you're right. He's already addicted. But if you go addin' that vap to the mix the next thing you know you'll go out to the shed and he'll be gone! Two days later you'll finally find him down at the 7-11 beggin' people to go inside and buy him e-cigs. The next time he's missing he'll be behind the 7-11 smokin' crack. Don't force him down this destructive path. Stand up and be the wrenchin' father you promised to be.

I'll stop now. Enough said.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,095
I looked at the 450 a few times yesterday and I can't see how the water got in , still thinking a pressure test on the casing is going to be the only way I will be able to find the leak ------ thinking about it , I checked the oil , before I left and it was crystal clear , rode for about 45 minutes and it was very milky after going over the fuel tank in the water , it never done this before and I must have 100 hours on the engine , it seems to have happened quickly , so it must be a major leak , it is not visible as no oil is leaking any where , so it must be above the oil level in the engine ---I did pull the starter off yesterday as I had just put in a new starter recently and thought maybe it was the o-ring leaking , but I don't think that is it

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
no water in the air box or cylinder
This is what throws me ^^^ i would think positive crank case pressure would have had some effect, but that hot engine hitting cold water then shutting off ?? Makes think along your line.

really can't imagine how the water got in other than maybe the recoil start shaft seal
Possibly a short quick engine vacuum ? (From a cold dip) Sucked that water in ? I'm not saying that particular seal. I think your pressure soap test is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,097
I think the air pressure test is going to be the answer , I think a regulator is a must so I don't over pressure it and blow seals out ----I got an extra dip stick , so try and grind it flat on top , drill a hole thru it and thread it for a quick coupler air fitting , start off at 10 psi , soap the entire engine down with Dawn and water , it should bubble up , I am suspecting the seal behind the pull start , I know I have read where people will block that pull start off , as it get full on mud --- right now I silicone around the rope and the drain hole on the bottom but I am sure it still gets in there

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,098
Sometimes I over think things , I was prepping to pressure test the case for leaks that would let water get in , so I took a spare dip stick , pulled the steel stick out , drilled the plug and started tapping it , the plug slipped in the vise and broke the ear off the plug , then I realized , all I have to do to pressure test the case is disconnected the crank case vent hose and stick a fitting into the end of that hose to pressure up the block , then soap it down and try to find bubbles

1081 - 1098 of 1098 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
22 Participants
fishfiles
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing