Honda ATV Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1098 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
I couldn't even find an aluminum box with a hinged cover. All I found were bolt-together watertight NEMA 4 boxes (pricey!). It looks like you'll have to cut up a Pelican, ehh? R&D ain't ever free... sometimes triples your costs to finding a good solution.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Got excited about this pic , then realized it was fake news , LOL
Lol ^^^ outside line thinking again ??

I was thinking an inclosure like this one (pic) , or something close to this ....https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6063-extrusion-aluminum-material-pin-fin-heat-sink-enclosure-aluminium-box-for-electronic-device-125-51/32867652667.html
I figure the closer the clearance is to the inside walls of the heatsink should solve the heat issue, but again theres that sealing up issue .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,043
I mounted the amp onto an aluminum plate to act as a heat sink , then tied the Pelican box into the snorkel , not sure how well it is going to pull heat from the box without having another vent , I might thread a 3/8 hose barb into the box and run a hose off of it ------- want to change that clear hose to black if it works out , the clear hose was something lying around and looks ugly

one thing good that came out of this , is I relocated the winch solenoid , and so far I am happy with the results , I was looking around for something to make a plate to mount the KFI solenoid under the cooler and found that a u-bolt was just a little bit off from fitting the mounting base of the solenoid , by taking a 19 mm socket and sticking it in the u of the u-bolt , then putting it in a vise and squeezing it , then tweaking the two studs , it slide right in , clamped it to the tube of the front rack and it is solid

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,044
Another successful trip with the 450

one thing I don't like , I should have never put the stiff springs in the clutch , it is harder on your foot to shift than my other 450 without the spring kit

the amp didn't melt down yet , but it was overcast and had rained all morning and not that hot

another thing is the extra shim in the front diff , it may help give traction to the other side sometimes , but it is not a locker by any means , maybe I should have stuck 2 shims in there

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,045
started right up , rode it to the first pit stop and it wouldn't start by the button , thought maybe I ran the batteries down as I let the radio play for a long time before leaving on the ride , pull started it which is very ,very hard as this bike has some mean compression , got it started and home and the batteries where up , and the solenoid was good , took the starter out and cleaned the ground and she started up ------ the sound system shut down again and never came back yet

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,046
I stuck a new starter in the 450 , it was sounding weak , there was a hesitation before it started , dual batteries and fire cracker hot , this one does have a lot of compression , was very happy with the starer from PSN , , Partzilla wanted $264 for a new one , Ebay chinese junk was $60-$30 , and I got a tested OEM starter for $19.99 with free shipping , it fires right up with no hesitation

picked up a really cool tow strap from the flea market this morning , it looks military , says 5,500 lb capacity

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,047
I made a good score today , a set of 4 old school 12" ITP aluminum slots with 26 ITPs Mud Lites for $150 with the right offset , my buddy knew I wanted them and finally needed some money , I think they will polish up nice and a set of new black caps are cheap , the tires are not to much but can go on one of my 300 2wds , the rims are going on this 450SS , maybe when I take them 29.5s off and put some new 28s on it ---- I never did like the rims on this 450

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,048
Something came up today , a guy I converse with on 450s asked me " What head gasket did you use on your big bore 450 with a 400 head , I said " a 450 " , well this opened a can of worms in my head instantaneously , I looked the part interchange of 450 head gaskets and there are two head gaskets listed for a 98-2001 and a 2002-2004 head gasket ,and the 400 is different yet , the 400 head bolts right on the 450 jug which is sleeved to 500 , don't know the difference if any on the thickness or hole size of the different gaskets ---------I know sometimes part number make no difference and are just a tracing tool ----so I was thinking maybe I would have needed a 500 head gasket for the bigger hole , but have been told that it is different , how I don't know , I am not having any problems , but , since the bore is now 93.5MM and stock is 90mm , what about the hole in the gasket for the bore ??????? What's up with dat ???

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Nice score on those SS wheels!!!

The fire ring built into the head gasket around the bore is usually quite a bit larger diameter than the bore is... that ring survives longest if its tucked inside the bore under the head away from the combustion flame front. So they are purposely made an extra large diameter when there is plenty of space between the bore edge and the bolt/stud holes to do so, which there is.

I imagine if that fire ring protruded into the bore you would have noticed before putting the head on..? I wouldn't worry about it since its an air cooled motor (no water jacket holes that could become blocked by an incorrectly fitting gasket), unless it starts burning through head gaskets.

Those old aluminum wheels are hard to find in good shape... I'm jealous! You just scored on a similar set of those last year if I remember right? :)

·
Registered
4,689 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,051
Nice score on those SS wheels!!!

The fire ring built into the head gasket around the bore is usually quite a bit larger diameter than the bore is... that ring survives longest if its tucked inside the bore under the head away from the combustion flame front. So they are purposely made an extra large diameter when there is plenty of space between the bore edge and the bolt/stud holes to do so, which there is.

I imagine if that fire ring protruded into the bore you would have noticed before putting the head on..? I wouldn't worry about it since its an air cooled motor (no water jacket holes that could become blocked by an incorrectly fitting gasket), unless it starts burning through head gaskets.

Those old aluminum wheels are hard to find in good shape... I'm jealous! You just scored on a similar set of those last year if I remember right? :)

Good news , that you fell good about the head gasket , I do too , I think I would have noticed it while assembling it , if the fire ring were going over the hole ----I think I can pull up a gasket and a stock jug and I know I am 3.5mm over size , I could take a look without opening up the engine

Yep , I scored last year on some slots ----

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,052
Nice score! Fish you recall z7what's polish job ? I think he's in Louisiana ??

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/wheels-tires/126602-finally-finished-my-wheel-tire-upgrade.html

Credit for the pic goes to Z7what.

I remember Z7 , Louisiana guy , he got them rims shining , thanks for the link to his thread -----Retro put me on some really good cleaner , Eagle , and they changed the bottle , I got the new stuff and I don't think the new bottle works as good ----hope tomorrow to hit them with some Purple Clean , think that will make them a lot better to start with and quick

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,053
I got to wash the tires with Zep Purple and a brush , looking good

then realized something is different about these rims , when I looked at my other ITPs , I found these are 7 holes , my Blue 300 is 6 holes and the Red 300 is 4 holes --- I really like the 4 holes the best , they seem the rarest to find

Ordered a set of new black SS caps , they were $4 and some change each

my buddy I got these from has another set of the same rims and tires , BUT , they are painted black and starting to peel

Attachments

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Those remind me so much of Alcoa semi rims! Sharp... If you EVER have a reason to sale a set drop me a line!!

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,057
American Wheels , I think was the name of the 4 hole slot rims back in the 70s , I had a 73 Apollo , which was a Buick Nova with 4 hole slots ------ Still got some Cragars on my 82 Club Car , notice it also has a Honda 300 front bumper guard , LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,058
My father in law has those wheels on his Rubicon. Good to know which center caps he needs, as they were gone when he bought the bike!
iot is a 3 inch hole , you can get the chrome caps that slide in from the rear , they rust around the aluminum and chrome contact point and make it where you have to hammer them out , there is also about 5 different styles of caps that will fit and snap in from the out side

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/itp-wheel-caps

1041 - 1060 of 1098 Posts