Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a used speedometer on ebay but it doesn't show the hours/miles on it as it is not on the machine. Is it possible to reset this
unit to the miles/hours my old speedometer had on it? And if so, how would
one do it?:) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
MX: All the electronic speedometers and odometers (on cars, motorcycles, atv's, etc.) register their speed as they receive digital pulses from a speed sensor on the vehicle. The accumulation of distance traveled is stored in a memory chip which is (by law) encased in epoxy. Therefore, changing, or resetting the odometer reading ( + or - ) would be pretty much impossible without destroying the speed/odometer module. To make matters worse.... in many vehicles (and powersports equipment) the odometer reading is ALSO stored in the vehicle ECU (computer). So... if you think you can reset an odometer by purchasing and installing a new one, it won't work because the vehicle ECU will update the new odometer you just installed.
Bottom line, changing an odometer reading on a newer vehicle or machine is very difficult.
In the old years, speedometers and odometers used to work off of a mechanical speedometer cable that turned from the transmission to the speedometer. If a person wanted to keep the vehicle from accumulating so many miles on the odometer, it was as simple as disconnecting the speedometer cable. Likewise, if a person wanted to roll back some miles on the odometer and had a drill and a lot of extra time, they could put the speedometer cable in the drill, and run the drill backwards for a while (a long while!). So, one might think that, with today's electronic speedo's and odo's, you could disconnect the 'speed sensor' on the vehicle to keep the odometer from accumulating miles. Well, unfortunately, that won't work either because the speed sensors (even on our atv's and motorcycles) controls much more than just the speedometer/odometer.... It controls if and when our transmissions shift, when, and how much your power steering fades (or increases). It controls your antilock brakes, and on some cars, it even affects ventilation. So, if you disconnect the speed sensor on a newer vehicle, atv, motorcycle, etc., it is unlikely that the vehicle will even operate at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speedometer

Thanks much! I was trying to put the mileage where it was but
since that is impossible manually I will let the machine do it automatically
as you say. Sure love my Honda! I use it to plow snow just about every day.,it always starts right up and idles soomthly and it is very easy on
gas too..so far only about 3/4 tank since it Dec! I plow a pretty good size
driveway and the neighbors too. Doesn't even spin! Great traction, great machine!:)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wish it would automatically reset to actual mileage when you install a new cluster.
My son's rancher has a non working display and I want to replace it.
I wish that the new one would reflect the actual mileage as this Rancher has well over 6000 miles on it and is still going strong.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
David,
There is a possibility that a new speedo/odo might reflect the actual mileage of the atv. In many of the models, the mileage is stored in the ECU as well as in the speedo/odo. Unfortunately, I do not know which models do that, but I do know that the manuals give no indication as to whether the mileage will be updated (upon change of speedo) or not. I see that your sons' machine is a 2001, so it would be a guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I just purchased a 2020 Honda rancher, love the bike but it doesn’t have a digital instrument cluster, it has the basic style, would I be able to buy a digital cluster and just swap it out? I appreciate any help, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
37,075 Posts
Hello, I just purchased a 2020 Honda rancher, love the bike but it doesn’t have a digital instrument cluster, it has the basic style, would I be able to buy a digital cluster and just swap it out? I appreciate any help, thanks!
no you can not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts