Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum so bare with me. I have a 2000 Foreman 450es that I’m having issues with. After sitting for a couple of days it acts like the battery is weak and won’t turn the starter over. Sometimes if I keep bumping the starter switch it will turn over and from then on it starts just by touching the switch. I just replaced the battery less than 6 months ago with a Yuasa which I’ve had good luck with over the years. It’s actually the only name battery I’ve ever had in it. After I installed it, it sit for a month or so shortly after I installed it and when I went to ride it it was so weak it wouldn’t turn over. So I charged it and all good for a while and now for the last couple of months I’m having this weak to everything fine episode. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on? I’m leaning towards the battery but it’s odd to fire right up after it don’t at times not even turn over. I appreciate any advice. Thanks

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My mistake the battery is almost 1.5 year old. It was changed in Aug 2021 instead of 2022. I’ve normally have gotten several years out of the only few I’ve had to change.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is something draining your battery? What is the voltage 5 minutes after being on the charger and after a week?

Not really sure. I did disconnect the ground and checked from ground back to ground to see if anything was draining with a test light and that was good. I need to ck the voltage and see but can’t understand why it goes from not or barely wanting to turn the engine over (sometimes even just a little click) to immediately after it starts acting like no voltage drop at all.

· Registered
4 Posts
I've a 2001 Honda 450 ES and its got similar battery/starting gremlins as per your description even when battery was relatively new. Sometimes, not always the initial bump on the starter button only produced a half hearted cranking of the motor. If I wait for about 2-3 seconds later and bump it again the cranking is normal the engine starts. I can't find any drain on the battery either. The cranking is always normal ( brisk ) after the engine is shut off and restarted even after 1-2 hours downtime. I now have a solar trickle charger ( 1.5 watts ) hooked up to the battery ( ATV is stored in a garden shed ) and that pretty much eliminated the gremlins. Cranks normally at first time use now, even in freezing temps ( I snow plow my driveway with it). Present battery is a Yuasa VRLA and it is 10 years old now. If I forget to plug in the charger after use, battery barely turns the engine over after two days of inactivity. Initially thought the starter motor may be the problem. Completely rebuild it w/new bearing & brush kit. No noticeable change. Wish I can be more helpful.
PS. the OEM battery, also a Yuasa lasted 10 years ( no trickle charge ) .Followed by an Energizer AGM which last about 3 years ( maybe a dud ? Also no trickle charge hookup ).

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've a 2001 Honda 450 ES and its got similar battery/starting gremlins as per your description even when battery was relatively new. Sometimes, not always the initial bump on the starter button only produced a half hearted cranking of the motor. If I wait for about 2-3 seconds later and bump it again the cranking is normal the engine starts. I can't find any drain on the battery either. The cranking is always normal ( brisk ) after the engine is shut off and restarted even after 1-2 hours downtime. I now have a solar trickle charger ( 1.5 watts ) hooked up to the battery ( ATV is stored in a garden shed ) and that pretty much eliminated the gremlins. Cranks normally at first time use now, even in freezing temps ( I snow plow my driveway with it). Present battery is a Yuasa VRLA and it is 10 years old now. If I forget to plug in the charger after use, battery barely turns the engine over after two days of inactivity. Initially thought the starter motor may be the problem. Completely rebuild it w/new bearing & brush kit. No noticeable change. Wish I can be more helpful.
PS. the OEM battery, also a Yuasa lasted 10 years ( no trickle charge ) .Followed by an Energizer AGM which last about 3 years ( maybe a dud ? Also no trickle charge hookup ).

I’m leaning towards the battery, I’m thinking I’ve only put 2 batteries in it after the first initial battery died. All have been an Yuasa battery, but I guess nothing is like it used to be. Lol. I may have to think about a trickle charger also but it’s just odd that this would be the first time of having to do it in this many years. I appreciate your input.

· Registered
4 Posts
When you were having these weak battery/starting issues, did you also noticed that the ESP shifting was also acting up ( like right after engine start and beginning of your ride ). When I had those issues my ESP shifting acted up i.e. will not upshift to 2nd gear from 1st. Just getting the --- . After riding around a little bit ( battery now charged up ) shifting went back to normal. That convinced me that I needed a new battery. Also was told that the ESP system needs a strong voltage to operate reliably. I honestly cannot remember seeing those --- again for many years now. Good luck.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've not noticed that happening fortunately, So I decided to hooked a battery that was charged up and it started right up every time. So I have ordered a new battery and going to see if that takes care of the issue. I'm hoping I just got a bad battery that go around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts