Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my new key/ignition set in from honda east. there are two phillips screws that remove the casing for ignition holder. however, they seem to have aluminum oxide problems and are stuck. cant i just remove mount nuts at bottom of handle bar mounts an accomplish same thing? it would make it a lot easier if that works v/s trying to unlock frozen aluminum screws. //Ed

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
never seen any ignition switch held in with screws ?, most Honda ignition switches just pop right in the dash, and are held in with plastic clips made into the side of the ignition switch. there is a slot cut out of the dash, the ignition switch lines up with this slot.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
you will however, need to loosen the handle bar clamps, in order to raise the bar, to get the ignition switch under the bar in between them, and the steering shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for info. there is a plastic piece over the handlebar bolts that the ignition switch is set in. the wires went between the handlebar and plastic piece, the plug squeezed through. the plug end of switch is in under the front of the gas tank a little bit. it was hard to get to, so i slid the gas tank back, which meant unhooking it, plus removing some of the body parts. took an hour an a half, going back together should be faster. also, removing the 2 nuts at the bottom handle bar got it out, so i could get to bottom of switch.
an hour wrap it up.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
thanks for info. there is a plastic piece over the handlebar bolts that the ignition switch is set in. the wires went between the handlebar and plastic piece, the plug squeezed through. the plug end of switch is in under the front of the gas tank a little bit. it was hard to get to, so i slid the gas tank back, which meant unhooking it, plus removing some of the body parts. took an hour an a half, going back together should be faster. also, removing the 2 nuts at the bottom handle bar got it out, so i could get to bottom of switch.
an hour wrap it up.
yeah, the plastic part in the very middle holds the dash on, nothing to do with the ignition switch. remove the two screws, lift the dash off, pop the new ignition switch in the dash, run it between the bars and steering plate, then plug it in. this is how I do it. some times those two Philips screws are a pain to get lose ?, I use a hammer impact with a Philips tip to break them lose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts