Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I installed new clutch kit ( springs plates discs) in the basket but now I can barely pull the lever in to get the clutch to disengage. Its as as if there is something bound up. I know I have new springs but this is abnormal. Its just stiff the whole way when pulling. The clutch pac was a standard EBC kit. I tightened the 5 spring bolts in a star pattern and when they bottemed out that was it I didnt continue to keep cranking as I didnt need to snap a 6mm bolt. Any info welcome thanks jim

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums. It sounds like you might have it installed wrong but without seeing it I can't be sure.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I agree with Submarine. Sometimes, if you don't know what to watch for, the discs and plates won't set all the way down to the bottom of the basket and the center piece won't go down hardly as far as it's supposed to. If you've never had this happen and don't know what to look for, it will be hard to spot. It's hard for me to explain. You might be able to take it back apart and reinstall the discs and plates and get it to go on down. If that's what the problem is, it'll only be about the thickness of one of the plates, too high. On the other hand, I can't be entirely sure that this is your problem without being there to actually see it and put it on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For some reason the new springs that came with the clutch kit are actually different than the original set. After re-installing original spring with new friction plates, the clutch operates like a champ. I believe the new springs have a thicker coil diameter not allowing for as much space when compressed. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Yeah the new springs the kits come with are stronger. Your clutch may be out of adjustment since your old springs have probably weakined over time. They would have had to adjust to make up for this. So if you want your stronger springs in you would need to adjust it back to the stock setting on your adjuster that would be right on top of the motor. The stronger springs will just make your clutch grip a little better because they make the plates go togeather harder when you let out the clutch all the way to reduce slipping.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
you did soak the friction disc in oil before you put them in didn't you? I agree with slammed ranger the thicker spring in aftermarket kit make the clutces really grab, most of the time better than stock.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I sure hope he did moose because my kit that i got from ebc came with a nice instuction manuel. But thats a good point i completely forgot to ask that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts