450r front shock conversion mod on the 300fw
After about 3-4 Mock ups I finally got all the measurements and geometry on point. It looks simple but it a little more to it?!
This is the run down. I put just the stock shocks on, measured the eye to eye length, the floor to frame hight and the angle of the shock. I added the 2” highlifter kit, measured the eye to eye length, floor to frame hight. I took stock shocks and 2” lift kit off and put the 400ex lowering brackets on the a-arms. I bolted the bottom eyelet of 450r shock in, set the floor to frame hight and original shock mount tabs to the same specs as the 2” lift kit set up, and set the shock angle to the same specs as the stock shock without lift kit. Measured the distance between both top eyelets of the 450r shocks, measured from the floor to the original top shock mount tabs, measured from the floor to the top 450r eyelets. Grabbed my R-tub cut it to length, found the center point between the original top shock mount tabs, marked the center for my R-tube and lined it up dead center. NOTE: There is two holes in the channel type bracket that the original top shock mounts to. From the bottom I marked them holes on my R-tube. I marked the new shock tab holes to the same measurements I got from the floor to top 450r eyelet, and from center point out to keep the same angle as the stock shock specs. Drilled my two small holes in the bottom of my R-tube that I marked, drilled my shock tab holes, cut the corners on the R-tube at a angle to clear the top of the shock. Bolted the R-tube on useing the two small holes to keep it centered, mocked it all back up. I welded on some drop tabs that bolt the R-tube to the original shock mount tabs. And used some eyelet bushing from some old shocks to prevent squeezing. Used AA shock eyelet spacers on each side of the top 450r shock eyelet to center it in the R-tube. Pulled it all back off and painted and put it all back together