Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm thinking about buying my brothers honda foreman 450es. 2 of the sidecases have been replaced the rear end recently rebuilt but the clutch is slipping in 4th and 5th gear. The ES is also broken all sensors on the motor have been replaced accept the angle sensor(it tested fine). The gear position only go R-N-1------5. Is one of the boxes bad? I need some help. Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
The ECU could be bad, or more likely there is a wiring fault somewhere. The ECU is a computer that signals the Display when it is in gears 2, 3, 4. You can bypass the ECU like I did on my 2000 Foreman ES. I only see gears R,N,1,5 on the Display but it shifts through all gears. I added a tachometer to help tell me when to shift.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
Hey I'm thinking about buying my brothers honda foreman 450es. 2 of the sidecases have been replaced the rear end recently rebuilt but the clutch is slipping in 4th and 5th gear. The ES is also broken all sensors on the motor have been replaced accept the angle sensor(it tested fine). The gear position only go R-N-1------5. Is one of the boxes bad? I need some help. Thanks
bad angle sensor, or bad gear position switch.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
The ECU could be bad, or more likely there is a wiring fault somewhere. The ECU is a computer that signals the Display when it is in gears 2, 3, 4. You can bypass the ECU like I did on my 2000 Foreman ES. I only see gears R,N,1,5 on the Display but it shifts through all gears. I added a tachometer to help tell me when to shift.
why would you need a tach on a semi-auto tranny engine ??..lol. tach's on these serv no purpose at all !!.

·
Registered
158 Posts
All race cars with push button electronic shift have tachometers. It is top front and center on the display - the most important gauge!

If the angle sensor has the right resistance, 2500 ohms going down around 500 and up around 4500 when turned, then it is good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a 1999 I dont think it has a engine control unit. And can you use your ES? Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bad angle sensor, or bad gear position switch.
I tested the a angle sensor and it's good and my brother put a new oem gear position sensor on. I've never messed with sensors but do the need to be clocked in? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
I tested the a angle sensor and it's good and my brother put a new oem gear position sensor on. I've never messed with sensors but do the need to be clocked in? Thanks
if the gear position switch was installed out 180 or more ?, then it will not show correct gear position on display.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
OP, once you , or who ever is tearing it back apart ?, gets the rear cover back off, look very closely at the top of the gear position switch, on top of the plastic piece, you will notice there is the letter N stamped on it ?, now look very closely at that tang rod ?, you will notice one end of it is longer while sticking through the center post ?, the longer end of the tang rod MUST face that letter N ! .

·
Premium Member
12,595 Posts
Why would you buy an ES , they are junk to start with ..... and you are going for one that is already broken ... makes it two strikes before you even start ... " tachometer on a race car " LMFAO

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
Why would you buy an ES , they are junk to start with ..... and you are going for one that is already broken ... makes it two strikes before you even start ... " tachometer on a race car " LMFAO
see what happens when we leave this place !!..lmfao.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You are getting some bad advice from someone that wants you to go to another forum. Don't take any wooden nickels from him.
All ES models are superior to foot shift models, by design. Honda knows how to design vehicles, trust me. And all ES models have a computer, usually called an ECU.
The early Foremans had gear position sensors with 4 (FOUR!!!) outputs: R - N - 1 - 5. Gears 2, 3, and 4 were kept track of by the computer, which signaled the Display. If the ECU is in error mode, the Display will not show gears 2, 3, 4, but it wil show R, N, 1, 5, because they are hardwired (4 wires going to the display from the position sensor).
My 2000 Foreman shifts great with the ECU Bypass system! The shift buttons work perfectly. But the Display does not show gears 2, 3, 4, even though I can shift into those gears fine and dandy.

Here is a video with more details about the ECU Bypass System:

Honda Rancher Shift Problems - How it works - How to fix ALL PROBLEMS!!!
Bubba Baryl

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because he's asking 1100 with barely any hours or miles and it pulls like he'll and if I can fix everything for 500 buck I will be left with a $3200 ATV that why

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OP, once you , or who ever is tearing it back apart ?, gets the rear cover back off, look very closely at the top of the gear position switch, on top of the plastic piece, you will notice there is the letter N stamped on it ?, now look very closely at that tang rod ?, you will notice one end of it is longer while sticking through the center post ?, the longer end of the tang rod MUST face that letter N ! .
Do I need to pull off the motor?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Because he's asking 1100 with barely any hours or miles and it pulls like he'll and if I can fix everything for 500 buck I will be left with a $3200 ATV that why
My Foreman will pull a half ton tree trunk across a creek, as long as I keep it at peak torque (around 3000 rpm), which I can do because I have a tachometer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Foreman will pull a half ton tree trunk across a creek, as long as I keep it at peak torque (around 3000 rpm), which I can do because I have a tachometer.
I was just trying to adjust my clutch and I took off the lock nut and the set screw was stuck from mud, dirt, water ect. And I chipped the screw. So I need to replace that. Could I pull it all the way out and slip the new one in? Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts