Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My atv runs great but after a while of riding, it just kind of looses the gear and can't shift anymore. I am able to manually shift no problem, but my buttons dont work and my display shows a "--" instead of the gear I'm in. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?
TIA!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Very common to have gear jams. I would install a bypass from subzerosound.com/HondaECUBypass.html and get the technical support option for more things to try to decrease the number of gear jams.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very common to have gear jams. I would install a bypass from subzerosound.com/HondaECUBypass.html and get the technical support option for more things to try to decrease the number of gear jams.
So that's a sign of a gear jam? It is not hard to shift manually so I didnt think that was the cause... hmmm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I watched you video and am loving the thought of taking the computer out of the fold. A few questions...
  1. While my dash still show me what gear I'm in?
  2. Assuming everything is currently working as it should be, is there anything that I need to be cautious about in terms of this may do x to the y part?
  3. Other than price points what is the difference between the amateur and pro timings? Why should I go one way vs. the other?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 1998 foreman 450 ES. I had the same problem what do you have to do is take the shifter apart it’s not that hard. Use steel wool and clean up the copper contacts they oxidize with different types of weather the only hard part I had was holding the brushes in while I put the magneto back in the Shifter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts