Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it will not start i am missing something need help, it was sitting up a while so i cleaned and rebuilt the carb, fresh gas, new battery, new plug, it has spark, it has compression, valve clearences are .006, timing is legit, it is getting gas, it will turn over with starter or kick start and sometimes hit but never actually run. i am at a complete loss any sugguestions would be great

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hmmmm.......if it's getting gas and firing it should run. could there be anything blocking the exhaust?....wasp nest,mud daubbers?.......I really don't know?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought out that and haven't checked it to be sure but you can feel the the air moving out of it when it turns over, still could be restricted though. I ll check for sure thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Try taking the spark plug out and pour about a teaspoon or so of gas down in there and put the plug back in. Try to get it back in quickly, so the gas won't have time to evaporate. Now put the plug wire back on and see if it will start and run for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it seems to be blowing the majority of the compression/gas mixture back throught the carb. but how can the valve clearances be correct and all the tick marks on timing chain sprocket line up and that still happen. I am by no means a expert i am just fairly mechanically inclined and have read a few books. this thing is driving me crazy

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
it seems to be blowing the majority of the compression/gas mixture back throught the carb. but how can the valve clearances be correct and all the tick marks on timing chain sprocket line up and that still happen. I am by no means a expert i am just fairly mechanically inclined and have read a few books. this thing is driving me crazy
Did you try pouring gas down in the spark plug hole, like I suggested above? If you did and it's trying to blow gas back out the back of the carb, then it sounds like it's out of time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
true story i poured gas into spark plug with carb off, sure enough it spit gas and a nice fireball out of the intake, so its out of time? i have checked the timing two days ago and everything lined up correctly, turned the crank until the TDC by looking throught the spark plug hole, check and the "T" was lined up with the mark also. took the valve cover off and both marks on the sprocket were right inline with the head. what am i misunderstanding???? thank you very much for the responses and being patient please forgive my ingnorance

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
true story i poured gas into spark plug with carb off, sure enough it spit gas and a nice fireball out of the intake, so its out of time? i have checked the timing two days ago and everything lined up correctly, turned the crank until the TDC by looking throught the spark plug hole, check and the "T" was lined up with the mark also. took the valve cover off and both marks on the sprocket were right inline with the head. what am i misunderstanding???? thank you very much for the responses and being patient please forgive my ingnorance
When you took the valve cover off and lined the marks on the cam gear up with the head, was the cam lobes pointing down? If they weren't pointing down, then it is out of time 180 degrees.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
What I'm trying to say in the previous post, is that the cam gear could be on wrong. It will go on two ways, only one is the right way. The cam lobes need to be facing down and the mark on the cam gear should be at the top. The two lines( ---- ---- ) that line up even with the top of the head will be at the same place, either way you position the gear.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
This first picture shows the position of the cam with the cam lobes facing down. The bottom picture shows the position of the marks on the cam gear with the cam gear bolted on, so that the cam lobes are facing down when the punch mark on the cam gear is facing up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem after a chain replacement on my sons 98 honda 300 fourtrax. t.d.c. The flywheel t-mark will line up on compression and exhaust stroke right. One way is 180 out. How do you know the timing is the correct way. I tried both ways still not starting. It will blow the carb out of the intake boot one way. Im stumped also. It will not run I will continue reading this post maybe it will help me also. Thanks to all for help to us newbies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i checked again and can comfrim when i line up the "T" with the indicator the piston is at TDC, the line marks (-----,----) line up with the head, the punch mark on the cam sprocket is on top, and the lobes are down. Is there any chance there is an electrical problem cause the spark to be off time. the green and black wires to the ignition coil are hooked up correct i have checked that.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Having the same problem after a chain replacement on my sons 98 honda 300 fourtrax. t.d.c. The flywheel t-mark will line up on compression and exhaust stroke right. One way is 180 out. How do you know the timing is the correct way. I tried both ways still not starting. It will blow the carb out of the intake boot one way. Im stumped also. It will not run I will continue reading this post maybe it will help me also. Thanks to all for help to us newbies.
Align the T mark on the flywheel with the mark on the case. Put the cam in with the cam lobes facing down. Bolt the cam gear on with the punch mark facing up. If you do this, it will be in time.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
i checked again and can comfrim when i line up the "T" with the indicator the piston is at TDC, the line marks (-----,----) line up with the head, the punch mark on the cam sprocket is on top, and the lobes are down. Is there any chance there is an electrical problem cause the spark to be off time. the green and black wires to the ignition coil are hooked up correct i have checked that.
The pulse generator or pickup coil as I call it, is what determines when it fires and there's no adjustment for it.

It sounds like you have it in time, though. The timing advance is a built in function of the CDI.

I can't figure what else could be wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the pluse generator seems like it would be something that either works or does not work, correct me if i am wrong but if the pluse generator breaks down it probably will not fire at all... it seems like the pluse generator one of the things i checked when i orginally went through the wiring harness check the resistance was to spec 340 omhs i believe. i really appreciate you helping me out and bearing with me

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
the pluse generator seems like it would be something that either works or does not work, correct me if i am wrong but if the pluse generator breaks down it probably will not fire at all... it seems like the pluse generator one of the things i checked when i orginally went through the wiring harness check the resistance was to spec 340 omhs i believe. i really appreciate you helping me out and bearing with me
Yeah, it's probably not the pulse generator. Like you said, they usually either work or they don't. All a pulse generator is, is a hall effect sensor, which is basically a coil of wire with power running through it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts