Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so the bike has no power what so ever. when the bike was running i had noticed the lights looked as if they would pulse and this was with a brandnew Interstate battery....... then the next day i go to start it up and it sounds as if it going to start up and just dies.........WTF...... so i checked the fuse box and the 15 amp fuse was good voltmeter says the battery has charge, but theirs no lights on the front of the bike and on the back also the neutral or revers lights don't come on either and when i go to push the start button nothing happens. i ran a wire from the positive side of the battery and contacted the the wire that runs directly to the the starter and nothing happened my thought was power directly to the starter should of at least engaged the starter.

any ideas of what im missing

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground check your connections.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If you ran a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive post on the starter, the starter should have turned the engine over. If it didn't, check the main ground from the battery to wherever it bolts to the engine. Also, check any other grounds that there might be to the frame, etc. It sounds like you have a bad ground. Make sure you use a wire big enough to carry the current to the starter. A set of jumper cables would be the best thing to use. Try that with a set of jumper cables and see if the engine will turn over.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seeing your lights fluctuate or flicker is usually indicative of a bad regulator. A bad regulator could possibly toast the electronics in your CDI. If your running power straight to the starter and nothing happens, most likely your ground path is interupted. I would start by checking if the quad was left in reverse gear and then check the reverse inhibit relay with prevents starting the engine when its in reverse.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
yup..sounds like you lost a ground connection somewhere to me...check your battery ground to frame/motor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are there any other ground wires other then the battery to frame? also i checked the volts from the battery to the solnoid around 13 volts continuing passed the 15amp fuse into the harrness...... im assuming that that would be the supply wire for the lights which would allow the lights to illuminate. also this reverse inhibit relay where is it and how can i check it for problems, if it did fry the cdi system would that prevent the lights from working? what should i check next could it be a combination or two or more problems........

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
are there any other ground wires other then the battery to frame? also i checked the volts from the battery to the solnoid around 13 volts continuing passed the 15amp fuse into the harrness...... im assuming that that would be the supply wire for the lights which would allow the lights to illuminate. also this reverse inhibit relay where is it and how can i check it for problems, if it did fry the cdi system would that prevent the lights from working? what should i check next could it be a combination or two or more problems........
yes..your lights can still work..even if your c.d.i is gone..because your stator has two sides to it..one operates your lights/battery..and the other fires your c.d.i..and yes..most bikes have ground wires everywhere..but..the biggest one..from the battery to your engine/frame..is the main one..locate it..take it loose..clean both connections..make sure they are good and clean..if your not getting a good ground..then you will have problems.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If the CDI is bad, it would have nothing to do with the lights working. Trace the hot wire(red) from the hot side of the solenoid, through the fuse, to the key switch and see if it has power at the key switch. It then runs from the key switch to the handlebar/kill/light/starter switch. If you have power at the key switch, check and see if you have power to the handlebar switch. From the handlebar switch, the power runs to the headlights and taillights, ignition, starter button, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok............. i have lights but still a no crank problem..... what is the best way to test the starter solenoid? i tryed taking a screw driver across the post of the starter solenoid and nothing. is that a part that goes bad normally, and what should i look for to diagnosis the problem?????

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
ok............. i have lights but still a no crank problem..... what is the best way to test the starter solenoid? i tryed taking a screw driver across the post of the starter solenoid and nothing. is that a part that goes bad normally, and what should i look for to diagnosis the problem?????
if your battery is good..and you got a good ground..then when you jump the soleniod with a screw driver..and your starter won't crank..means your starter is bad..try going straight to your starter with some jumper cables..hook hot lead to starter post..other to engine/frame..see if bike cranks ??.if it doesn't..your starter is bad.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
if your battery is good..and you got a good ground..then when you jump the soleniod with a screw driver..and your starter won't crank..means your starter is bad..try going straight to your starter with some jumper cables..hook hot lead to starter post..other to engine/frame..see if bike cranks ??.if it doesn't..your starter is bad.
Yep, Shadetree nailed it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
ive seen brand new batteries that were bad also i would check the battery under load also if it's a bad ground it wont change im not sure on the draw from the starter but under 9 volts i wouldnt think will crank motor very fast

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i ran a hot lead to the starter post and nothing...i back-probed the the hot lead while while connecting the lead to the battery and volatge didn't drop much if anything. so i guess it would be the starter.....

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
i ran a hot lead to the starter post and nothing...i back-probed the the hot lead while while connecting the lead to the battery and volatge didn't drop much if anything. so i guess it would be the starter.....
If you're positive that you're starter has a good ground and you ran a hot wire that was big enough to carry the current to the starter and it didn't turn over, then your starter is bad.

A set of jumper cables are the best thing to use to check the starter, because you can hook the ground straight to the starter casing and then touch the hot to the hot post of the starter. By using jumper cables like this, you know you're getting a good ground to the starter, as well as a good hot to the starter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the New Starter today and installed it and it fired right up!!!!!!!!
Thanks To everyone that helped out with the info. it is much appreciated.............:partsin01:

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Glad you got it running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
starter problems

1994 TRX 300 fourtrax. New battery, turn on the key, both green & red lights illuminate, push starter button and hear a click. Sounds like the solenoid is clicking (right next to battery) but nothing from the starter. Put test light on solenoid push start button and it lights up do the same with the cable going to the starter and it lights up as well.

Does the starter need replacing?

Thanks, Dave

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
1994 TRX 300 fourtrax. New battery, turn on the key, both green & red lights illuminate, push starter button and hear a click. Sounds like the solenoid is clicking (right next to battery) but nothing from the starter. Put test light on solenoid push start button and it lights up do the same with the cable going to the starter and it lights up as well.

Thanks, Dave
Welcome to the forums. if both lights are on you may have a bad ground, corroded terminal or yes the starter may be bad.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

Thanks, Dave
Yeah, sounds like a bad starter. To be sure, get a set of jumper cables and hook one end to a known good battery. On the other end, hook the ground clamp to the starter casing or the engine. Touch the positive clamp to the post on the starter. If the starter doesn't turn, it's bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts