Honda ATV Forum banner

1998 trx 300 air/fuel ratio

12K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  chris06. 
#1 ·
Could someone tell me how many turns on the air and fuel screws are please?

#2 ·
Start with 2 turns out on the pilot screw
Start with the idle screw just barely touching the throttle—you want that butterfly closed. Do not connect the throttle cable link or choke yet!
Install the carb and make adjustments to the cable—it’s going to get tight or loose depending on how many turns you put on the carb getting the cable on. Then install the throttle cable end on the throttle link—cable should be snug and the butterfly closed. (Now install choke cable and valve. Make final adjustments so that the butterfly is now responsive to your throttle input.

download the service manual and check parts links in my signature block below

#3 ·
Thanks bud. I fitted the new carb when it got delivered and adjusted the idle screw till it was just touching and gave it 2 turns but wouldn’t start without the choke on. Gave The idle screw another 1/4 turn And it starts without the choke but runs a little fast. Turned it back a tiny bit and it starts but cuts out during idle. There must be a fine line between air/fuel mix?

#4 ·
is this new carb oem ?, or china junk from ebay or amazon ?. if the later ?, well then..there is your answer !. air/fuel mixture is roughly about 2 1/2 turns out from lightly seated.

Reactions: Mark Graham
#5 ·
I thot you were fitting a stock carb so i was referring to the manual.
Aftermarket carbs don’t usually mate well with the choke and throttle cables.

I would put that knockoff back in the box and rebuild your OEM carb. It will cost you about $100 in parts for a Shindy rebuild kit, a choke valve and a primer pump.

#6 ·
i really wish these folks would STOP BEING SO DAMN CHEAP ?..AND BUY OEM PARTS !!..then they come here and wonder why it still wont work ?..sheshhh.

Reactions: Goober
#9 ·
hello again boys. I’ve recently purchased a 2001 350 trx and the fuel is constantly coming out the hose at the float bowl when it’s running & even when it’s not. I put a new carb on it and it’s still doing it. Could this be my petcock stuck on the on or reserve? I’ve put it to off but still drips out