Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine is going to an auction tomorrow that has a Kawi Prarie 400 4X4 1998 for sale. I looked at the internet link and it looks to me like the front rack is bent down, telling me it may have been rolled. I dunno, Anyone had experience with these machines? What kind a price would you pay for that? Anything special to look for? Below is the link to the ATV..

Totally Auction

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
almost forgot the most important question... can the 300 out run it on the straight line? LOL
I don't know much about them, but I think the transmission is belt driven. I would say it would outrun the 300, because the belt drives are usually faster than the gear drives.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
almost forgot the most important question... can the 300 out run it on the straight line? LOL
I don't know much about them, but I think the transmission is belt driven. I would say it would outrun the 300, because the belt drives are usually faster than the gear drives.

Well that sux... LOL but I guess as long as they don't tend to be a Problematic machine then I wish him luck.. Did you look at the link? doesn't it look like the front rack is bent down on both sides?

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts

Well that sux... LOL but I guess as long as they don't tend to be a Problematic machine then I wish him luck.. Did you look at the link? doesn't it look like the front rack is bent down on both sides?
Yeah, that front rack is definitely bent down.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought so too but the handle bars look good and otherwise it looks to be okay in the pics... I told him to check the engine oil and both diffs for water and shavings... other than that, I don't know what to look for except that I said it looks like it may have been rolled.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In addition that .... my 300 has been lightly rolled (when I broke my collar bone) and yeah all it did was scratch up the reverse button. LOL They just don't make them like they use to. :icon_ lala:

· Registered
1,965 Posts
My uncle used to have one. I can't remember if they were all time or selectable 4wheel drive. Ran good, but it was a tank. HEAVY for a 400cc quad.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I wondered about that if it could be taken out of 4x4 but I suppose I could look further into that. Either way if its a tank better for ME! LOL.. Really they are going to use it for casual riding, they have teen age kids, and they want to use it for yard work ect. I say if they can get a good deal on it go for it.

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
It being heavy would explain the bent rack if it was rolled and I would say it was.

· Registered
3,295 Posts
Teenage kids don't know the meaning of CASUAL riding. LOL. The rack being bent could very well be from too much weight being loaded on it, the plastic looks in too good of shape to have been rolled.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Teenage kids don't know the meaning of CASUAL riding. LOL. The rack being bent could very well be from too much weight being loaded on it, the plastic looks in too good of shape to have been rolled.

You make a great point! I know Brandon can be a little hard on things, but generally he's pretty good, Kassi won't hardly ride probably its Matt (the father) thats going to be the trouble.. LOL

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
I've seen ATVs rolled and the racks bent and the plastics not get damaged, but I've also seen a lot of weight hauled on the racks and them get bent that way too, so you might be right.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
i have raced two autos in a strait line from a dig (stop)

400 eiger auto. dont know if its belt driven. single gear. we were pretty much dead even the whole way. if i reved it up and dumped it in 2nd i could get him out of the hole and stay ahead.

also raced a 330 polaris auto that was belt driven but it was a 2 stroke. i think its belt sliped some down low. from a stop it was pretty close, then once i went to 5th he would start to pull away.

i think you could beat it, dump it in 2nd, bang gears, and dont look back :icon_ lala:

and yea that thing looks like a tank.

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
I'm not sure about the 400 Prairie, but a 360 Prairie will smoke a 300 Honda.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
that eiger must have been slow then, haha.

my buddy had a 400 eiger with the 5 speed and he said it would smoke my 300, but this auto was pretty much dead even from a stop all the way to the top of 5th. (about 50mph)

i tried to race my buddies 350 warrior but it keep popping out of gear every time we took off :/ i know he would have had me but to get a good comparison against something i know is some what fast.

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
that eiger must have been slow then, haha.

my buddy had a 400 eiger with the 5 speed and he said it would smoke my 300, but this auto was pretty much dead even from a stop all the way to the top of 5th. (about 50mph)

i tried to race my buddies 350 warrior but it keep popping out of gear every time we took off :/ i know he would have had me but to get a good comparison against something i know is some what fast.
I don't know anything about the Eiger, but one of my buddies used to have a 360 Prairie. I think it was a little newer than the '98 400 Prairie, though. I can't remember what year it was.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.