Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and new to owning a 4wheeler. With that being said I just got a 1998 honda 300 fourtrax on a trade I got it running still needs a starter but kick start works. So I started it today and decided to see how it rides. When I put it in gear it starts grinding and won't go anywhere. The left hand lever for the rear brakes needs a new cable well all the rear brakes need redone the pedal doesn't even work either. My question is would that be the reason it doesn't move? And I watched videos on how reverse works on it and I can't get it to work but again would that be because that cable on the hand lever is bad? Thanks any advise would help and yes I'm mechanically inclined haha thanks all

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
424 Posts
The reverse cable hooks up to a lever on the bottom of the motor by the rear foot brake, you can pull that lever and wire/zip tie it on so you can shift into reverse.
Drum brakes rust and stick, does it move when you push it around in neutral?

I've seen a few old hondas with bad first gears from abuse, try second and see if it moves.
Guys hold up on the shifter activating the clutch, pin the throttle and release the shifter to do wheelies. They stand right up when you do this but the gears strip after a while so I never do it to my hondas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reverse cable hooks up to a lever on the bottom of the motor by the rear foot brake, you can pull that lever and wire/zip tie it on so you can shift into reverse.
Drum brakes rust and stick, does it move when you push it around in neutral?

I've seen a few old hondas with bad first gears from abuse, try second and see if it moves.
Guys hold up on the shifter activating the clutch, pin the throttle and release the shifter to do wheelies. They stand right up when you do this but the gears strip after a while so I never do it to my hondas.
I tried all the gears wont move at all and yes it rolls fine in neutral

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
424 Posts
Where is the grinding noise coming from? A bad U joint or diff will just make grinding noises but not move or it could be the transmission.
You will have to tear into the motor and see what's wrong, if its not the U joint or diff.

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
Download the service manual from the link in my signature block below
Use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
At very high speeds, my universal joint was rubbing inside the swing arm, It sounded like grinding. Will the bike move under it's own power?

·
Premium Member
5,258 Posts
There are two cables on the left perch. Rear brake and reverse.

hard to tell what’s going on with it at this point. could be clutch adjustment, could be something bad broken. Follow the service manual diagnostics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts