Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out on the direction i have to have the switch in. Replaced me stator and im pretty sure it turned because no i have no nuetral light at all. Really dont want to bypass it.

·
Super Moderator
36,686 Posts
on the switch itself, where the long tang is poking through the round part that sticks into the end of the shift drum, that long rolled pin is above the plastic under it, look very closely at the top of the plastic, there is a letter N stamped on it, now..the longer end of the rolled pin should face/hoover over the letter N, this lines the switch up.

·
Vendor
18 Posts
he asked how to install the switch, not how it works.
The guy on the video actually shows how to line up the switch in a neutral position if there are no markings on it.

·
Super Moderator
36,686 Posts
The guy on the video actually shows how to line up the switch in a neutral position if there are no markings on it.
most members don't know how to work a ohm meter, let alone own one, if your video guy would show a honda switch with the plastic part, and the letter N on it ?, then this would make it very simple for the OP, and members on how to line them up, and install the switch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on the switch itself, where the long tang is poking through the round part that sticks into the end of the shift drum, that long rolled pin is above the plastic under it, look very closely at the top of the plastic, there is a letter N stamped on it, now..the longer end of the rolled pin should face/hoover over the letter N, this lines the switch up.
If this is the piece of plastic you are refering to. I would say its seen its better days

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,686 Posts
If this is the piece of plastic you are refering to. I would say its seen its better days
I would say your correct...lol. you need a new switch, the plastic is missing that would have that letter stamped on it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say your correct...lol. you need a new switch, the plastic is missing that would have that letter stamped on it.
Looked on line and can’t find a new neutral safety switch anywhere. Everywhere i look says unavailable. Currently looking for a used one but also having no luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a new safety switch. But it still doesnt work. I have power to the right side of the plug and none on the left like i should. When i try to use a jumper wire it blows out the 15A light fuse. Im stumped. Unless its the plug somewhere. Whats weird is it worked fine whenever i pulled the motor.

·
Super Moderator
36,686 Posts
I got a new safety switch. But it still doesnt work. I have power to the right side of the plug and none on the left like i should. When i try to use a jumper wire it blows out the 15A light fuse. Im stumped. Unless its the plug somewhere. Whats weird is it worked fine whenever i pulled the motor.
install the switch, long tang facing the letter N , install back in the engine, if you out it together right ?, you should see a neutral light when you turn the key on ?.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
install the switch, long tang facing the letter N , install back in the engine, if you out it together right ?, you should see a neutral light when you turn the key on ?.
I did exactly that and nothing. I went to a local atv shop and the one i have tested good in nuetral and reverse. Thing that gets me is the fuze blowing. Acts like it has a short somewhere.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The way the switch works is it makes ground for the light. It does not provide power. When the switch is turned to neutral you should have contenuity between the wire and the engine case.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The way the switch works is it makes ground for the light. It does not provide power. When the switch is turned to neutral you should have contenuity between the wire and the engine case.
I understand, but i have power going to the plug where the switch plugs in. But when i plug the switch in i check the postive wire on the switch is has no power.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand, but i have power going to the plug where the switch plugs in. But when i plug the switch in i check the postive wire on the switch is has no power.
Tested it some more in different places. I have power going all all the way to the safety switch. So im guessing its not grounding out. Could it be in the plug making it not ground out?

·
Super Moderator
36,686 Posts
lets back up a bit, after the switch is installed in the case, installed in the engine into the back end of the shift drum. you then plug it into the harness side. once the transmission is put into neutral, the switch should have 12 volts too it, when your in neutral, it should show on the display on the dash ?. if your blowing fuses, then you have a short some where in your wire harness.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you sure you had the transmission in neutral when you put the switch in? If you look at the roll pin on the post of the switch you will notice that one side is longer than the other, the pin isn't centered on the post. The longer side of the roll pin needs to line up with the N on the switch body, otherwise you are 180 degrees out and it won't work.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has stopped blowing fuses, but now i have constant power to the switch. I can turn it from N, which from what i understand the loop should close and not have power but it still does. Iv checked grounds, chased wires. Really at a stand still on what could be causing it

·
Super Moderator
36,686 Posts
It has stopped blowing fuses, but now i have constant power to the switch. I can turn it from N, which from what i understand the loop should close and not have power but it still does. Iv checked grounds, chased wires. Really at a stand still on what could be causing it
the switch is suppose to have constant power at all times !!!. what part of this in this thread did you miss ??????????????.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts